Is there a hidden AC port? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 12th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Is there a hidden AC port?

If this has already been posted I apologize, I haven't come across it in another post. I'll probably be annoying you guys with questions over the next few weeks as I really start digging into the Z5.

A couple of weeks ago my battery went dead at the end of the service. I decided this Saturday I would plug in the adaptor so I won't have to worry about charging it later. I've looked all over my camera and cannot find an AC port. Can anyone tell me if I'm stuck using that battery adaptor only? If that's the case I think that is a huge oversight on
Sony's part. At least before you could use the AC adaptor plus have your battery attached as well.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Shockingly, the Z5 does not appear to have the same DC in port as the FX1000. If it did, it would be under jack #8 (shown on page 136 of the manual), behind the lowermost door. But the manual says you have to use the battery adapter.

Interestingly, the FX1 and Z1 are different from each other in this way as well. The FX7 and V1, though, are identical to each other in this regard -- both have the same DC IN jack.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #3
Major Player

I guess I'll have to deal with it but I can see that being a nuisance.
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Perhaps it's their way of assuring you never try to charge a battery on the cam (people say not to do this but they never say why), or maybe it's a more secure connection because it locks on whereas a regular plug doesn't, and may be less prone to falling out while shooting.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
.....a more secure connection because it locks on whereas a regular plug doesn't, and may be less prone to falling out while shooting.
Adam, I tend to agree on this one because it happened to me while I was using the FX7 with ac adaptor only, during a christening when a kid accidentally tripped over the supply cable and pulled the plug from the camera while I was shooting.

Stelios
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #6
Major Player

I don't know guys. I can see the point about not charging the battery but it hasn't been like that for all these years. As far as it being more secure, maybe it's just me but I would rather have someone trip over the cord, have it pull out of my camera and it keep going with the battery VS the adaptor locked into your camera, having someone trip on the cord and yanking your camera over or snapping something off it. I've seen too many freak things over the years. I'll make it work.
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Trustee

Rob you have a point there. Maybe they should have given us both options. Anyway I guess we just have to live with it.

Stelios.

P.S. or maybe we can drill a hole through the case and mount our own socket.... lol
Old March 14th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #8
Trustee

Carry enough batteries and you'll never have an issue. I generally carry 2X as many batteries as I think I'll need. I never had a problem using any cam that way.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #9
Major Player

Ken, I carry a few batteries. The issue isn't me changing batteries. It's the fact that since the camera uses so much juice, it would be nice to plug it in when I'm doing a service with an outlet sitting next to me. I was only pointing out that it seemed odd to not have the port on the Z5 considering it's been on the last 10 Sony cameras I've owned. That and the fact that you can't have the battery backup. It's not a deal breaker, just strange.
Old March 14th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #10
Trustee

Rob, as someone mentioned, you can always use the AC adapter that comes with the unit. I don't see too much of a difference using that as opposed to having a jack for a small plug.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000