FX1000 matte box at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 21st, 2009, 02:17 PM   #1
Inner Circle

FX1000 matte box

Processional for my wedding yesterday was difficult. Wedding was outdoors, and the sun was coming at just the angle that a matte box would have made a huge difference.

I'm asking: Are they sold for specific cameras, or do I buy one size fits all? I did a cursory look at B&H but still feel unsure at what I should be looking for.

As an aside, I couldn't believe how expensive they are.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; March 22nd, 2009 at 11:00 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Jeff, I've been looking at them as well. You'll probably pay a minimum of $800 for a cheap one and that won't include filters. I wonder if the same matte box would fit on both cameras? It's not a one size fits all, it will go mainly by lens size I believe.
I found this in another post:
http://imagewest.tv/index.asp?PageAc...PROD&ProdID=27
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Major Player

VOCAS in the Netherlands (Europe) is making matte boxes for the HVR-Z5 and HDR-FX1000.

VOCAS SYSTEMS BV

I believe that in the US they are sold as Century Precision Optics. Prices start around $800 at B&H Photo Video. And at this price they are not cheap made matte boxes. Filters are of course not included, but Century Optics has some nice priced DV kits to get you started.

Century Precision Optics | B&H Photo Video

Century DV/HDV Filters - Schneider Optics

Schneider Optics Instruction DVD

Hope this helps!
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Major Player

I appreciate the post. The biggest problem I'm going to have are the rods on the matte box. I keep a quick release plate on the camera all the time. When I'm not on a tripod, 80% of my shooting is on a monopod. That would hamper me when I need to go quickly from the monopod to the tripod.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:59 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I'm wondering if there is a simple clip on shade available rather than a matte box...my shooting is often run and gun also, I need something quick, and a clip-on device might be best...still looking.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Inner Circle

You would think these would be available (and they may be, somewhere) -- it would make perfect sense -- but I've been looking for them too and even the most basic set of flags is way too expensive....
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I can't believe it, I just left the largest local industrial video supply house and while I was there I forgot to ask about this...I could kick myself. I'll call them. If anyone knows of something they might, except their solutions are probably all very expensive.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Major Player

Jeff, I was heading to NY in a couple of weeks and was hoping to stop by B&H but they're going to be closed for Passover. What are the odds? 1 in 358? Anyway, I guess you'll be the guinnea pig. Take one for the team and let us know what happens.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:19 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Wow, that sucks about b&H!.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM   #10
Major Player

Take a look at this.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/private-c...ilter-set.html
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:42 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Thanks, Ivan, great of you to post that. Still way out of my price range, and more than I need.
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:32 AM   #12
New Boot

Quickmount

Rob I just converted my Manfrotto monopod by permanently mounting a quickmount plate (3273) on top of it, I now have all my camera gear (still and Video) equipped with Manfrotto plates and quickmounts on all tripods and heads. So I can put any combination I need together in a minute.
For Jeff, I made a "generous" French flag (out of 2mm plastic) with a cardboard hinge for my FX1000 that attaches to the standard rectangular hood with a hd rubber band, works like a charm, cost $2.00 Cnd.
Ed

Last edited by Ed Van Thienen; March 27th, 2009 at 02:36 AM. Reason: more info
Ed Van Thienen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Is there no end to the inventiveness of some people...what a great idea!
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #14
Major Player

Ed, I do the same. On my monopod I have a 701 head and a 503 head on my tripod, which works great. My concern regarding the matte box was mounting the rods under my camera and messing up my system.
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #15
New Boot

Rods

Yes that is a bit harder to get around, especially if weight is an issue and it usually is!
I would leave it on for most of my stuff and just remove it when you Have to be light.
Ed
Ed Van Thienen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000