Serious FX1000 tape recording issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:13 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Serious FX1000 tape recording issue

Ok, for the tenth time I have gotten broken clips, and it is ALWAYS at the absolutely worst time, in the middle of the intro of the bride and groom at the end of the ceremony, intro of their first dance, I could go on.

It only happens with footage from one of my cameras, and regardless of which I capture with. One time I rewound the footage and it captured one section continuously, but the rest of the breaks remained.

What happens during capture is it freezes, then struggles to restart, then it begins capturing a new clip.

Any ideas? No doubt this camera must go to Sony, but I thought I would check here for any thoughts.

Yes I'm using new tapes, and I have two cameras, and the settings on each are identical.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:23 AM   #2
Major Player

I am seeing the same thing, writing a project back to HDV tape on the FX-1000. Footage from a Canon HV20, used in a Vegas project. No problems, but writing back sometimes gives a drop out in each tape. The other day I saw 2 drop outs in a single tape.
I know, this is not completely the same as shooting, but nevertheless, drop outs.
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 09:36 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Picture freeze is the error correction working to cover up a dropout. What tape are you using and have you EVER used another brand of tape in the camera( even just once)? I have had my FX1 since they came out, always used Sony Premium tape and never had a drop out of any kind. Just one use of a Panasonic tape on a camera using Sony tape will cause endless problems until the deck is cleaned. I have personal experience on one DV cam and my DHR1000 deck both had to be sent back to Sony to clean and fix and have never mixed tape ( or had a dropout) since. Sony tapes do not liked to be mixed with anything else. I know lots of people say this has been fixed. I for one am not prepared to test this out knowing what happened to me in the past!!! Sony Premium tape is not expensive anyway and I have used some several times still with no problems.
I keep one of my older DV cams for non Sony DV tapes that people give me to capture etc so that my main cams only see Sony Premium tape.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 10:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, from Jeff's description it's pretty clearly a tape dropout. Vegas probably has a setting to start a new clip when it sees one. Turn that off.

Last edited by Adam Gold; April 3rd, 2009 at 11:44 AM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Major Player

Never ever used anything else than Sony Premium.
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:02 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Duplicate post
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:03 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I never use anything but new Sony Premiums. A few years ago I had a bad experience mixing tapes, and hopefully it be my last.

Adam, I'll check into the settings, but I've looked and in HDV capture mode there is no option to stop for dropped frames. In DV mode there is, but not in HDV mode. Most of the options that are available when capturing in DV are unavailable for HD.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:07 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I'm not a Vegas user, but most NLEs have a setting somewhere in the capture settings that says on dropped frames, to ignore or start a new file or abort. Usually there's some sort of check box or drop-down. I assume Vegas has something like that, but I could be wrong.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:11 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks Adam, I forgot that you use PP.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Inner Circle

It would appear that when capturing HD Vegas stops on dropped frames by default. There is not, that I can find, an option to turn that off.

When capturing SD the option is there, as are other options like turning off audio during capture, but for HD capture Vegas is somewhat limited in options.

I'll try to capture using HD split, but it had some issue too. for example when previewing during capture if flaked out on me and had many dropped frames and told me my computer wasn't pwerful enought to do preview during capture. I like to be able to see preview during capture, but it is certainly not essential.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:37 PM   #11
Major Player

Is it the tape or NLE? Can you view it directly on the TV or in your camera LCD? I'm getting the same issue off the card whenever it splits.

Last edited by Rob Morse; April 3rd, 2009 at 05:04 PM.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Don't mix Sony tapes

I am continually maazed at how some people think mixing tape brands like Sony with others is OK as long as they are new tapes.

Too scary to take a chance I think.
Martin Duffy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000