z5 Pal/Ntsc switchable??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 7th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #1
Major Player

z5 Pal/Ntsc switchable???

Is there a function to swap between on this camera? I live in PAL land but have found a bargain in the States for this camera.
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi. I recently purchased a Z5E - there is no PAL/NTSC option on the Z5E as standard - however, I did read somewhere that you can opt to have this as an additional extra. Not sure what the added cost is though.
James Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Oliver View Post
Is there a function to swap between on this camera? I live in PAL land but have found a bargain in the States for this camera.
Luke

You are looking for trouble if you buy an NTSC Z5 camera to use in Europe. Trust me, pay the extra money and get a proper PAL unit.

Check this site: Sony HVR-Z5E Professional HDV Camcorder - WTS Broadcast Limited

Stelios
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes, it is possible. I have contacted my local SONY tech support with this question (to make my Z5U switchable NTSC-PAL). They replied me with quote $300.00.

Have anyone ever did it. And how does it work, if so?
Alex Khachatryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #5
Inner Circle

It's menu switchable on the Z1 so it sounds like a cool way for dealers to make $300 on the Z5
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Major Player

Tom Hardwick -
"It's menu switchable on the Z1 so it sounds like a cool way for dealers to make $300 on the Z5"

I think only Sony will do the upgrade, so your local dealer probably can't be doing the upgrade for some quick cash.

From what I've heard is that on the Z1 it is software that switches the NTSC / PAL, so the quality isn't exactly the best. (Just like the "frame / progressive" modes on the Z1.)

On the Z7/Z5 I have heard that it is more of a hardware upgrade, meaning if pay for the upgrade you should have better quality recording on these than the Z1.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000