VCL-HG0872K for the Z5 - video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 28th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #1
Major Player

VCL-HG0872K for the Z5 - video

Has anyone already spend their money on this wide conversion kit? I'm not sure if it's worth the $ 1000.00 price tag and would like to hear from someone who is using this on the Z5.

I just found this video about the converter: SONY VCL-HG0872K ???? by ?SIR : Xuite??

I can't understand what he is saying, but it isn't difficult to guess. :)
At the end of the video you see some comparison shots from with and without the wide converter on the camera. The first two shots have a very noticeable barrel distortion and the following two are looking much better.
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Major Player

If anyone is interested, here is a review about the wide converter: ProVideo Coalition.com: Camera Log by Adam Wilt | Founder | Pro Cameras, HDV Camera, HD Camera, Sony, Panasonic, JVC, RED, Video Camera Reviews
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Derran, I have purchased this convertor for my Sony HVR-Z7 and I'm must admit I'm very satisfied with it. Agreed, at full wide-angle there is noticeable barrel distortion, but the overall sharpness is amazingly good. At full tele, the distortion is almost nil.

I also tried it on a Z5 and although the general result is a little less sharp (due to the Sony lens, rather than to the convertor, I presume) it is very acceptable. You can see screenshots of the convertor at almost full tele on both the Z5 and the Z5 in the Z7-thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-hvr-...sion-lens.html
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Luc, Thanks for the info and screenshots!
Old May 8th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Hmmm.. $1k seems kind of right if you divide the kit into matte box and adapter - $500 each is where other manufactures are selling theirs solutions.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Siewior View Post
Hmmm.. $1k seems kind of right if you divide the kit into matte box and adapter - $500 each is where other manufactures are selling theirs solutions.
Taking into account the sharpness, the construction quality, the versatilty (filter holder, French shade, unfolding lens cover...), it is a bargain, especially in Europe, where the price - for once! - is not just the equivalent in dollars. I'ts 'only' 775,- euros over here.

Okay, that is still 1045 USD, but usually prices in euro's are the same as in dollars, so that would mean 1045,- euros. Especially Apple is a real champion in this weird (and scandalous) manner of converting.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
... Especially Apple is a real champion in this weird (and scandalous) manner of converting.
Luc, what do you mean here? I always thought that the currency conversion was done by the banks.

Stelios
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
Luc, what do you mean here? I always thought that the currency conversion was done by the banks.

Stelios
I mean that when I buy - say - an Apple 30 inch cinema display from a Premium Apple dealer in Belgium it costs 1799,- euros. The same display in the USA costs 1799,- dollars! That means we pay about 20% too much, taking in account the difference in currency.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000