White balance headache: Z5 & FX7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 12th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #1
Trustee

White balance headache: Z5 & FX7

It is very difficult for me to get the same picture output (colour wise) when I WB the Z5 together with my FX7. If for example I am filming indoors and I want to use both cameras the Z5 and the FX7 then I suppose I have to WB both cameras at the same subject (white wall or something white) but when I do that, the pictures is never the same, the Z5 is a bit more warmer then the FX7. Is there a way to WB both cameras so I can get the same picture looks? and I don't want to correct the video on the NLE. How do you guys WB if you have two cameras?

Stelios
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #2
Major Player

I'm not sure if this helps, but you can change the preset setting in the menu to indoor or outdoor WB. I have the camera set to outdoor and this creates the warmer look. If I'm not mistaken.
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #3
Major Player

I would think when you manual WB that would override any custom WB setting.

You might try a blue WB card on the Z7 to warm it up a bit.
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Major Player

Also in the picture profile menu, you can change the color settings of the camera very precisely for each color. The nice thing about this, is that you can try to match the FX7's color, save it as a PP and then switch it on whenever you need it.
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Tim's idea is the best, I believe.

Use a table cloth or any thing white to white balance the Z5, but use the WB card as he suggests for the FX7.

Or you could also try setting WB on two different things. If you can find a slightly less white object to white balance the Z5 and then set the WB on the FX7 on a brighter white object that "could" balance it out. Obviously that is a very sketchy way to do it, but under some circumstances it might work. Never tried it, but it might be worth a try till you get a WB card.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I'd white balance them using the same reference for both, then adjust the picture profile to balance the picture between cameras.
Ben Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey !!! in my case, all my weddings are during the night
so I just go AWB,and I have never had a problem with
the white balance!!

Franklin...
Franklin Bencosme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Bencosme View Post
Hey !!! in my case, all my weddings are during the night
so I just go AWB,and I have never had a problem with
the white balance!!

Franklin...
Franklin
That's what I do when I am using only one camera, but if I leave auto WB on both the FX7 and Z5 the colours look different.

Derran
(...The nice thing about this, is that you can try to match the FX7's color, save it as a PP and then switch it on whenever you need it. )

I never thought of this idea. It sounds good, I will try it out.

Stelios
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #9
Major Player

That would be a nice fix if it works out to be the same under different lighting. I tried something similar with the auto WB. I made a profile to use with auto WB that matched the manual WB perfectly in the game room of our home. When I tried to use auto WB and the preset in a church, it didn't look right, not as good as manual WB. Not sure if that would be the same or not.
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #10
Major Player

I use a z5 as my a cam and my fx7 as my b cam (i shoot weddings)

As was mentioned previously, I use the picture profile to match the colour temps on both cams.

Out of curiousity, has any z5 users noticed that the image you get in the viewfinder doesnt really match what you see on the LCD screen (colours, wb etc...)

I find that the LCD screen actually gives a TRUER representation of what your shooting rather than the viewfinder (it has been the opposite for most other camers Ive used)

But anyway, PPs to match the Z5 and FX7, they match pretty good 90% of time. I'll still do a little CC in the edit, but not much.

James
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Strange View Post

I find that the LCD screen actually gives a TRUER representation of what your shooting rather than the viewfinder (it has been the opposite for most other camers Ive used)

Hi James, the LCD-monitor is better than the viewfinder in almost all aspects: sharpness, colour rendition, ... That's why I've made it my viewfinder. My wife made a dedicated attachment loupe (with the focusing loupe from an old Mamiya 6/6 camera) and so the Z5 (or Z7, for that matter) has become a shouldermounted camera. Hoodman also produces an attachment, called 'the Hoodloupe', but it's a little too small for the Z5's and Z7's LCD-monitors and the optical quality of the loupe could be better.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Strange View Post
I use a z5 as my a cam and my fx7 as my b cam (i shoot weddings)

As was mentioned previously, I use the picture profile to match the colour temps on both cams.
James
Can you explain to me how you use (set) the picture profiles?

Stelios
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #13
Major Player

For each shoot when I'm using the FX7 and the Z5, I set select a picture profile on each camrea, then 'tweak' certain things like wb, wb shift, colour phase, colour level etc... until both cameras match pretty good.
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #14
Major Player

It is good how you can adjust these cams ,on my fx-7 i use color level + 2 and sharness 7 and outdoors using outdoor wb this is the picture i like,i am sure the fx-7 could be adjusted to color match the Z5 with some fiddling and adjustment.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000