DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Z5E Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/235395-z5e-question.html)

James Curran May 15th, 2009 06:31 AM

Z5E Question

Hi

I've been asked at the last minute to video my sisters wedding! I've only recently purchased a Z5E camera and so have had very little time to work with it - the wedding is Thursday coming.

Could anyone advise on the following:
(i) The best settings to use for this camera for the wedding, i.e. shutter speed etc
(ii) The best way to white balance this camera.

I apologise for the nature of the questions, but time is running short - I only found out yesterday!!

Thank you all in advance.

Khoi Pham May 15th, 2009 09:03 AM

Not to put you down or anything like that but if you have to ask this kind of questions, your knowledge is very limited in shooting and you are in no shape to shoot a wedding, my best advice is to find a professional to help you, or if you can't then go into the menu and find the gain limit and set it to 12db, then put the camera in auto and shoot in auto mode, and try to stay away from backlit situations, this will let you concentrated on framing and composition and not have to worry too much about whitebalance, shutter speed...

Will Tucker May 15th, 2009 09:09 AM

I personally like the look of 30p for weddings, but again that is just me. As for white balance it depends on the situation. I have gotten in the habit of manually white balancing when needed, I don't use the presents very often.

I know the wedding is soon, but I would put some test footage on DVD so you can see the results for yourself.

Thanh Nguyen May 15th, 2009 01:51 PM

hello

Brother Khoi. I check out your demo online and saw you shot only american wedding. What happen to Viet wedding???? They can't afford you??? heheh that not suprise me when i saw your work. I hope i could learn more from you and just wondering if you don't mind showing me your trick heheh Awsome work bro

David Schuurman May 15th, 2009 02:15 PM

I think you'll get something good enough if you just set the camera on auto... Unless you're confidant enough to dabble in manual...

I would suggest shooting 30p with a shutter of 60. and a shutter of 30 at the reception because of the low light, don't put the gain above 12db either. And only go past 6db if you absolutely have to.

for white balance I think either auto or just point it at a general scene on a wise shot and it'll white balance well enough. If you want to get finicky then keep a little white card on your person and blur focus until the entire screen is white and then whitebalance.

Chris Hurd May 15th, 2009 02:42 PM

The advice to shoot full auto is excellent -- that's really the only practical way in this particular case.

Thread moved from W/EV to Z5.

Tim Akin May 15th, 2009 07:43 PM

I also agree with full auto. The Z5 will do a real nice job in auto, just watch for backlight (windows with bright light coming through). Go into the menu and set AGC Limit to 12db.

I'm a big fan of 30p, but I would strongly suggest to stay with 60i until you learn more about the camera. If the Z5 is like the FX1000 in full auto with 30p on, it will set shutter speed to 30. You need to keep shutter at 60 unless the lighting is bad.

Good luck.

Stelios Christofides May 16th, 2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Akin (Post 1143699)
...Go into the menu and set AGC Limit to 12db...

Why do you advice to set the AGC limit to 12db. By default is OFF. Should I also set mine to 12db as well?

Stelios

Tim Akin May 16th, 2009 07:52 PM

If your using auto gain then that's what I would suggest because of the increase in noise (grain).

Buba Kastorski May 16th, 2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoi Pham (Post 1143468)
find the gain limit and set it to 12db, then put the camera in auto and shoot in auto mode, and try to stay away from backlit situations, ...

hear that James?
best advise,
and try to stay on the tripod as much as you can.

James Curran May 17th, 2009 04:39 AM

Thank you all for your advice and help - it is much appreciated.

Steve Slattery May 18th, 2009 04:35 AM

If your shooting in Northern Ireland the setting should be 50i or 25p, not sure if the Z5 European model allows changing between the two systems anyway but rest of advise is good. Oh and practice like crazy up to the wedding!

Steve

Ben Hall May 18th, 2009 10:29 AM

I have the Z5P (Pal europe version).

It only allows for Pal operation, 25p or 50i - it will not do 30p or 60i, or anything NTSC/non-PAL.

I'm not sure how many versions of this thing exist? Z5U (USA?), Z5N (North America?), Z5E, Z5P (Pal), Z5J (Japan), Z5C (Canada)..?

Adam Gold May 18th, 2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Hall (Post 1144754)
I have the Z5P (Pal europe version).

No, the P is for Pacific, i.e. Australia, and is indeed PAL.

The E is for Europe PAL. U is for US NTSC (actually ATSC, but that's another thread), and J is for Japan. Canada uses the U IIRC. C would be China, or at least it has been in the past. There may be other versions as well.

Stelios Christofides May 18th, 2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Akin (Post 1144118)
If your using auto gain then that's what I would suggest because of the increase in noise (grain).

in other words Tim, if you are using auto gain and set the AGC Limit to 12db, will you have less chance to get have noise?