Sony tape difference? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 19th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Sony tape difference?

Anyone know if there is a difference between the Sony Premium tapes in the Orange wrapper vs the blue?

The numbers are different, they are made in different places (Mexico vs France), but other than that I can't tell.

A new place I started buying them sells only the orange, and I have had drop outs with them.

The original place I bought them (the blue ones) closed, and I'm thinking I might have to order on the net.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I wonder how many times thes tapes can be used i.e. once only or 100?
Resham Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Anyone know if there is a difference between the Sony Premium tapes in the Orange wrapper vs the blue?

The numbers are different, they are made in different places (Mexico vs France), but other than that I can't tell.

A new place I started buying them sells only the orange, and I have had drop outs with them.

The original place I bought them (the blue ones) closed, and I'm thinking I might have to order on the net.
If and when I use tapes - which is not so often, as I mainly record on CF-cards - I use the 'Premium' type in the orange wrapper. I've never had any problems with these. But if you can afford it, buy the CF-recorder and use tape only as a backup. No drop-outs and saves you lots of time in capturing!
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Luc
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #5
Major Player

I don't know much about Sony tapes, but I have been using Panasonic professional MiniDV tapes. They're under $4 a pop at B&H, and IMHO $4 means that I never re-use a tape, so I don't have to worry about drop outs.

Any tape you can re-record onto, but even the most expensive tapes will have greater risks the more you use them.

The only tape that I have ever heard of anyone trusting for a thousands passes (re-recordings) is Digi-Beta. I knew a guy that worked on the Indiana Lottery, & they used the same Digi-Beta tape on a daily basis for a couple years w/o a problem.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000