DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   FX1000 and additional lighting... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/238250-fx1000-additional-lighting.html)

Stelios Christofides July 3rd, 2009 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Goldshteyn (Post 1166239)
I purchased the Comer 1800 last week from lacolorshop (Taky Cheung) and it is much more powerful than one might think. I own the Sony 10/20w, have used the Sony HVL-LBP LED and now added the Comer 1800 LED, and I will tell you that the Comer is at least 4x as powerful as the Sony 10/20 (set to 20w...

Sony 10/20w = $87
Comer 1800 = $410

It better be more powerful...

Stelios

Jeff Harper July 3rd, 2009 08:50 AM

For the about the same amount of money the Micro Pro seems quite good also. I'm thinking of getting one of those as well but MUCH lighter.

I'm tired of lighting issues and decided to just spend and be done with it.

What I've been using has worked, but the Simas run out in 40 minutes and while the Sony isn't horrible, it really is more like a flashlight with a narrow dispersion of light. I was watching a video with my customers and the Sony really didn't do that well on a large dance floor.

Alex Goldshteyn July 3rd, 2009 11:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Stelios,

Its not just more powerful, it has a built-in condenser, diffuser (w/3200K gel) and barn doors to protect the light. It spreads light that covers the full range of my Z7 (which is about 32mm on the wide end). The Sony 10/20w without the diffuser is like a small flashlight, and with the diffuser is simply not powerful enough to use for anything but close-up work.

Jeff,

Are you planning to use the Comer 1800 on an FX1000 or Z5/Z7? The reason I ask is because the light is somewhat heavy with the NPF-970, and mounting it on the front of a FX1000 will make it very front heavy. On the Z5/Z7 you can mount it on the handle (see attachments), which on the Z7 actually balances the camera better than with no light at all (as the Z7 is already front-heavy with its stock lens).

Jeff Harper July 3rd, 2009 11:49 AM

Alex, I just attempted to cancel my order. That thing with a battery is REALLY big. I had no idea. I cannot thank you enought for the pics.

I am hoping to cancel and go with the Micro Pro. Not as good of a light but weight-wise definitely superior.

What I've read of the Micro Pro it seems pretty darn effective compared to the older version. Can anyone confirm that?

Alex Goldshteyn July 3rd, 2009 01:47 PM

Jeff, while the Comer 1800 may look big in the pics, it really does balance very well on the handle, so if you have a Z5/Z7, I don't think it will be an issue. I would be curious to see the LightPanels Micro Pro against the Comer 1800, but from what I've seen online (YouTube - Cool New MicroPro LED Lighting from Litepanels) they claim that the MicroPro consumes only 9 watts and outputs 55 watts, which I find hard to believe considering it doesn't even come with a condenser lens. From a cost perspective, the MicroPro is about $60-70 more expensive (but there is probably some savings in being able to use NiMH AA batteries).

Would you care to get both and be the first on the site to do a test? I'm sure there are many people who would be curious (myself included). Maybe Taky would be willing to let you return the Comer 1800 if you decide on the MicroPro, and vice versa there are many reputable vendors online that will take back the MicroPro if the Comer 1800 becomes the light of choice.

Stelios Christofides July 3rd, 2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1166712)
Alex, I just attempted to cancel my order. That thing with a battery is REALLY big. I had no idea. I cannot thank you enought for the pics.

I am hoping to cancel and go with the Micro Pro. Not as good of a light but weight-wise definitely superior.

What I've read of the Micro Pro it seems pretty darn effective compared to the older version. Can anyone confirm that?

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff you are really very impulsive (like me) in getting all excited about buying products before you do a thorough research if it is the right product for you. I can't tell you how many times I have ordered things on the spare of the moment, only to regret it later on.

Stelios

Jeff Harper July 3rd, 2009 02:32 PM

I don't have a Z5, I have an FX1000. The light will not balance on my camera.

It is not coming out of the box. He has shipped it but I will be returning it unopened. I appreciate that he has a full refund policy if the box if unopened.

Jeff Harper July 3rd, 2009 02:38 PM

Stelios, I was never "excited" about the light.

After I ordered the light Gene posted the first pics I have seen of the light mounted on a camera.

There is very little on the web about the light and very little to go on other than the "glowing" reviews.

Jeff Harper July 3rd, 2009 02:46 PM

I was just watching a demo of the condenser lens trick. Wow, that is very cool.

Stelios Christofides July 3rd, 2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1166793)
I was just watching a demo of the condenser lens trick. Wow, that is very cool.

Where can we see that Jeff?

Jeff Harper July 3rd, 2009 03:20 PM

I can't find it Stelios...I originally found the link on his site but I cannot find it again....I have to leave but will look for it later.

Alex Goldshteyn July 3rd, 2009 07:06 PM

Stelios, below is a link to a demo of the Comer 1800 w/the Condenser trick (around 1:20 into the video):

YouTube - Shooting with Comer CM-LBPS1800 with Backlighting

Lukas Siewior July 3rd, 2009 09:00 PM

Thx guys for all suggestions. I'm just not too happy with Comer 1800 battery solutions which adds extra weight - especially for handheld/shoulder usage.

What would you guys say about following choice of lights in $400 price range:
1) new Comer 1800
or
2) used Zylight 50

Taky Cheung July 3rd, 2009 11:57 PM

This is another video showing the condenser trick too

YouTube - Comer CM-LBPS1800 Backlight Test and Zooming in with the the Condenser Trick

Stelios Christofides July 4th, 2009 04:09 AM

[QUOTE=Alex Goldshteyn;1166873]Stelios, below is a link to a demo of the Comer 1800 w/the Condenser trick (around 1:20 into the video):

What is a "condenser lens trick" ?

Stelios