Which camera cuts best with FX1000? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which camera cuts best with FX1000?

Hi all. I've been using an FX-1 for some time for event work and am looking for a second cam to use alongside this one. I'm considering purchasing either the FX-1000 or the Z5. Does anyone know how they "cut" with the FX-1? Shooting is outside and inside and we're talking wedding work. I've used a VX-2100 in the past with the FX-1 but I'm doing widescreen stuff more so now and that's what people want to see. Thanks for your input.

Anthony Cipriano
Anthony Cipriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:52 AM   #2
Trustee

Anthoni
Either the FX1000 or the Z5 will do just fine, even better I might say, along your FX-1, but I would recommend that you go for the Z5 for 2 main reasons. 1. The implementation of the MRC1 flush recorder unit into the body of the Z5 and 2. the audio XLR inputs that the Z5 has.

Stelios
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You could save a lot of money and buy a Z1 which uses the same chips as your FX1.

Your FX1 uses CCDs and the FX1000 (which uses CMOS sensors) might cut "ok" with the FX1 but there would be a different look to the footage from each. It would work, but the Z1 would be perfect and give you pro audio connectors. Just my two cents.

I have considered the Z1 as a fourth camera for my FX1000s, but the I know the footage would look considerably different so I've abandoned the idea.

If someone who has used both assured me they could be matched, as you are asking, I might reconsider, but I'm hesitant without proof.

I don't know that the FX1000 would be $3200 better than the FX1, and if your FX1 is working for you the Z1 would be a logical and smart choice.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Which camera cuts best with FX1000?

Thanks Jeff for that reply. You might be right. I' just anticipating the end of tape format around the corner with the price of SD cards coming down and is it worth the investment in "old technology." I know the Z-1 is still being marketed by Sony and,as a 3 CCD cam together with XLR and more, it is appealing. The prices certainly haven't fallen off though!

How are you making out with your FX-1000, by the way? I kind of got caught up in the dialogue you were having with others over the merits of that cam over the FX-1 and at one time you were selling it. The one thing I did not like about that camera was the scroll wheel and how you have to press on it hard to get it to operate. It didn't "cut" very well with the FX-1 either, by the way, in the editing room. There is a difference between how each handles low light situations. I'm giving the edge to the 1000 but the image was not very sharp and somewhat grainy looking and the gain on auto.

Cheers,

Tony Cipriano
Anthony Cipriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The FX1000 is superior in low light and the lens starts out wider, but overall I'm not overly impressed with it. It gets the job done is about all I can say.

The FX1000, IMO is not the HD equivalent of the VX2100. In the right light it is fine, but as the gain goes up it gets too grainy for my taste.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000