DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Speeding Up Video with Lossless Re-Rendering (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/238719-speeding-up-video-lossless-re-rendering.html)

Martin Bannet July 9th, 2009 04:02 AM

Speeding Up Video with Lossless Re-Rendering

Hi folks. Am a noob at this for sure, but I beg your indulgence.

Have recorded a couple of sunrises in HD on the FX1000 with no time lapsing. Would like to know a couple of things.

What is the way to render my video losslessly for reprocessing. Found a thread where a guy did a Sony Vegas 3x velocity AND a 4x playback rate to speed up a scene. That's good, but not as fast a result on a sunrise as I would like to get.

I think I need to render with the above increase in film speed and then bring it back into Vegas to render again (unless someone here can suggest a smarter move, of course).

What is the best way to render (without loss of video quality) and then RE-render (if necessary) to produce those 'Nature Show' Hi-Speed quality sunrises.

In future, should I film a sunrise using a 1 frame a second time lapse to get the same result or will that not be as 'pure' a high-speed transition as my first suggested option?

Thank you for your assistance.

Martin

Ben Hall July 9th, 2009 09:26 AM

I've done it a few different methods. If I really needed a super-long capture, then I would do it using the interval record feature on my camera. This typically records something like 6-8 frames per grab, which you can choose to be a 30 sec, 1 minute, 10 minute intervals etc.

If one tape would cover the time suitably, then often I will just let it record in real time.

Ok, capture done, when it's time to pull it into the NLE (I use FCP), I can specify in the capture settings which frames to capture. So in the case of the interval recorded stuff, I can say grab 1 frame in every 8, so I just get 1 frame of each capture.

In the case of the real time capture, then I can choose how much I want to pull in - either in real time (eg 25fps or whatever), or double time (discard every other frame), quad time (capture 1 in every 4 frames) etc.

This gives some flexibility in determining how much material you need versus storage requirements etc.

So look to see if your NLE has a similar facility - it's come in really handy on more than one occasion for me...

Martin Bannet July 9th, 2009 10:27 AM

Hey thanks! That's GOOD info.

I can probably try that (interval-based import/capture) with one of my other sunrise recordings (which is still on my DV tape). As for the other one....uh, wiped off the tape to make room for some other filming. Have the originally transferred m2t file on my hard-drive.

It's still a question of how to significantly speed up what's already been brought over (as is) to the hard-drive as an m2t file.

I did search the database for lossless rendering but nothing matched up in relevance to this file type. I realize the m2t file is a compressed HD file, but it's splendid quality nonetheless and if I can regurgitate it over and over (speeding up the video each time I re-reneder) I would be tipsy with glee...squeal like a little girl.....(you get my drift...).

Further thoughts gents?

Martin