What should I buy first? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 10th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What should I buy first?

Hi everyone, I hope Im putting this in the right section, it has a bit of everything so not sure although all related to my Sony Z5. Sorry for the long post.

I recently bought the Sony Z5 and I am very happy with it, its a great camera and now I want to start bringing up the accessories for it up to the same standard.

Items I need/want, include:

Libec LS38
Sennheiser Wireless Mic kit
A LED camera light (not sure which one yet)
Sony MRC1K

Now I want to get all these items at some point, the problem is right now I dont have the funds for all of them and will only be able to purchase one of them for now.

I do currently own a Velbon DV7000, which is an Ok tripod for still shots and I can get round the wireless audio problem with a lavilier mic and a digital voice recorder (which Ive used before and worked quite well. Also I can borrow a Sony HVR LBP light from my college so not too worried about buying a light yet.

Thing is I have some weddings at the end of the month so I was thinking maybe the mic kit would be best to get as it will mean good audio, problem is I'm also filming some general views for a production company over the summer so I'm also thinking the Tripod would be the better option.

Ok so heres the question:

As I only have enough money to buy one of these items now, which do you guys think I should buy first?

The Tripod (Libec LS38) or Wireless Mic (Sennheiser 100ew)

Thanks a lot
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Trustee

Jonathan
I also have the Z5 and I would recommend for you to buy this tripod Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 055XB Pro Tripod with 503HDV Fluid

this way you can save some money and you can buy a wireless mike as well.

Stelios
Old July 10th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Major Player

You've answered most of your own questions and you're the only one that can answer them. All the items mentioned are important. How good are you at hand holding the camera? I don't know about anyone here but I've never shot a wedding, or any service for that matter, without a tripod. As for the audio, if your finished product sounds like crap, what good is the video? Everything is equally important. So this question is almost like, "what came first the chicken or the egg?".
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Major Player

First, it is IMPORTANT that you get good audio! If you are able to get good audio, then get yourself a nice set of sticks. You won't be dissapointed! I use the Libec myself.

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Jon,

If you are stretched for a tripod initially, and I would under line Robs point for many shotsm any scenic or general view a tripod is essential...

BUT you might consider a monopod.

Many of my collegues working for TV agencies ie. AP, AFP, Reuters etc are using monopods for a lot of their work. I can imagine one being quite useful for a wedding situation. I picked a Manfrotto up today for 60 Euros.

Regards
Gareth
Old July 10th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

It looks like everyones suggestions are as spilt as my ideas. Haha.

I've used the Manfrotto in the past and wasnt a big fan of it, hence why I was considering the Libec, the Libec seems to have better reviews as well.

I also agree with the point that the audio is very important and I do want to get the wireless mics as soon as possible.

After a bit more though this evening I think Im going to go with the Libec LS38 tripod first.
Mainly because the Velbon tripod isn't very good with the Z5 when zoomed in, its way too shaky, also I have used the Digital Voice/Mic route before and it worked well so just got to hope it works well again. As weddings require using a long lens often I think the good tripod is probably more important, part of my GV collecting also requires filming from far away so steadiness is important. Another thing is I will be pretty close to the bride and groom at the wedding so the sound from the shot gun mic should be alright for back up.

Maybe with a bit of luck I might get the money for a Wireless mic before the weddings, at least I now know where my next £400 is going.

Once again thanks alot to everyone for your suggestions, I know I kind of answered my own question but I just wanted so good opinions on the matter from the great DVinfo members.

Thanks guys!
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I couldn't live without a wide-angle converter, but you'll come to that.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I filmed my first wedding with a Z5 yesterday (actually 2 thanks to my mate) and am so glad I had a Sennheiser wireless G2 kit.
I filmed a wedding a few years ago without wireless, and this addition will help the production so much.
My Libec did the biz too.

Decisions!
Old July 20th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Just to let everyone know I went with the Libec LS38 Tripod, Ive got to say its a brilliant tripod and got some really steady shots with it.

Hopefully I'll get the wireless mics before I do the weddings but if I dont I do at least have my back up option with the voice recorder and mic, it does work just requires syncing in post.
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #10
Archivist for SMECC

WA Converter

with then built in wide on the z5 is the converter as necessary as it was on the z1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
I couldn't live without a wide-angle converter, but you'll come to that.

See The Communications and Computation Museum at:
Museum Website

See The Glendale Arizona Videosphere - KKAT-TV At:
Glendale Daily Planet KKAT-TV CouryGraph Productions

Click For Red Camera In Action
Ed Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #11
Archivist for SMECC

The sweetness of sound...

I would have first went for the Sennheiser Wireless Mic kit

You can get by with a crap set of sticks but crap sound is never forgiven.....

I have in a pinch shot with thrift shop sticks ehn out of town and needed to get something disposable... but the sound... oh so most important....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Palfrey View Post
Hi everyone, I hope Im putting this in the right section, it has a bit of everything so not sure although all related to my Sony Z5. Sorry for the long post.

I recently bought the Sony Z5 and I am very happy with it, its a great camera and now I want to start bringing up the accessories for it up to the same standard.

Items I need/want, include:

Libec LS38
Sennheiser Wireless Mic kit
A LED camera light (not sure which one yet)
Sony MRC1K

Now I want to get all these items at some point, the problem is right now I dont have the funds for all of them and will only be able to purchase one of them for now.

I do currently own a Velbon DV7000, which is an Ok tripod for still shots and I can get round the wireless audio problem with a lavilier mic and a digital voice recorder (which Ive used before and worked quite well. Also I can borrow a Sony HVR LBP light from my college so not too worried about buying a light yet.

Thing is I have some weddings at the end of the month so I was thinking maybe the mic kit would be best to get as it will mean good audio, problem is I'm also filming some general views for a production company over the summer so I'm also thinking the Tripod would be the better option.

Ok so heres the question:

As I only have enough money to buy one of these items now, which do you guys think I should buy first?

The Tripod (Libec LS38) or Wireless Mic (Sennheiser 100ew)

Thanks a lot

Museum Website

Old July 29th, 2009, 01:36 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sharpe View Post
with then built in wide on the z5 is the converter as necessary as it was on the z1?
Oh yes! The Z5 is 30 mm equiv, the Z1 is 33 mm. Look at it this way - if you told a stills photographer your widest wide-angle was 30 mm he'd have to suppress a smirk. 30 mm might have seemed wide-angle in 1967, but very soon 24 mm became the standard. Then in the 80s when everyone had a 21 mm lens the 17 mm became 'super-wide'.

If you want the perspective control a widie brings, and the 'frightening track through the woods', then I tell you, the Z5 needs a lot of help.

tom.
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:17 AM   #13
Archivist for SMECC

I think you are off on the z1.... I think it is more like 43 mm equiv?

But yes..... with time the 'wide' lens journalists used..... got wider.... I remember when a 35 mm on a leica m3 was a WIDE lens! (I am old)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Oh yes! The Z5 is 30 mm equiv, the Z1 is 33 mm. Look at it this way - if you told a stills photographer your widest wide-angle was 30 mm he'd have to suppress a smirk. 30 mm might have seemed wide-angle in 1967, but very soon 24 mm became the standard. Then in the 80s when everyone had a 21 mm lens the 17 mm became 'super-wide'.

If you want the perspective control a widie brings, and the 'frightening track through the woods', then I tell you, the Z5 needs a lot of help.

tom.

Museum Website

Old July 29th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sharpe View Post
I think you are off on the z1.... I think it is more like 43 mm equiv?
What makes you say that Ed? Have you looked it up? Er - no.
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #15
Archivist for SMECC

Going by how it looks... The z5 looked a lot wider and I seem the remember the othe value..... I will look it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom hardwick View Post
what makes you say that ed? Have you looked it up? Er - no.

Museum Website

Ed Sharpe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000