FX-1000 Microphone channel problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 31st, 2009, 11:10 AM   #1
New Boot

FX-1000 Microphone channel problem

How are you,

I use a FX-1000 and it do wonders. I bought a Rode NTG-2 and a XLR adaptor. Instead of using the adaptor (which can be a pain to mount on a steady or figrig) I've using a XLR-Miniplug cable. The problem is, with the microphone connected in the miniplug in jacket, it only records on one channel, the left side to be specific. When capturing on final cut its still in only one channel.

Is this something I can fix in menu? Is it a known problem?

It's such a problem that for XLR proffesional use you have to pay 1000's more, the FX-1000 is almost the same camera.

Thanks for your help and please excuse my english. It's not my first language.
John Nouel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Are you sure you have it set to record channel 1 & 2. If you have the second channel, saybon input 2 with nothing plugged in, you'll only get 1 channel.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:30 PM   #3
New Boot

You can only record in both channels. Because its prosumer. But I think I already found the problem, it's the miniplug input, it seems you cant put the cable all the way in. I guess its designed for sony products, but ill just need to redesing the cable.

Thanks!
John Nouel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Sorry, I forgot the FX-1000 doesn't have XLR's. I use a Z5 so maybe one of the FX-1000 owners can chime in.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:44 PM   #5
Major Player

It's normal for FX-1000. You have to remember that the mic input is stereo and the xlr-to-mini converter is mono and it only gives you one channel - it doesn't duplicate the signal to both channels.

You have two solutions - duplicate the channel in post or have a custom converter made which would split the signal to both channels. I had that done in local audio store and it works fine.

There is also other solution: Azden | CAM-3 3-Channel Mic Mixer | CAM-3 | B&H Photo Video
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 03:14 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I think this cable will help you out.

The input is Stereo so it should give you sound to your left and right channel.

Hosa Technology Mini Stereo Male to 3-pin XLR Female Angled
(Connects Mono Microphones to Stereo Camera Inputs) Cable - 1ft

Hosa Technology | Mini Stereo Male to 3-pin XLR | XVM-101F | B&H
Marco Dias is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000