Progressive v Interlaced - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 4th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #16
Major Player

I shoot in progressive mode as well. Looks better IMO. No blur if set right. Obviously you don't do a 'Whip-pan'. What you select should be dictated by the look you are after.
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:28 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Interlaced Sony Z1U With 30P Z5U...

After reading this thread, I'm afraid the answer will be, "Don't Do It."

But I just received my new HVR-Z5U...to add to my HDR-FX1 and HVR-Z1U. I have
previously shot with the 2 older units, which match up nicely....Interlaced. I am eager
to shoot an upcoming wedding, (2 cameras) utilizing the Progressive 30P offering of the
Z5U.

With the Z1U as Cam 2, interlaced, am I (and the client) going to see a pretty bad
mismatch whenever I cut to the secondary Z1U, from the primary Z5U?

Event is in 2 wk late afternoon, 4PM outdoors, at a winery in Southern California, under a tented / canopy arrangement. Reception Indoors afterwards until 10PM.

Let me guess....If I use the Z5U, as I'm eager to, I should set it to match the ZIU's
native interlaced mode, right?

Comments / Advice appreciated!

John Reilly
John Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Run 60i, forget 30p for now...it's pointless. I think it is overly hyped anyway. It can look nice, but for event videography it requires great care in panning and would be a distraction for the shooter. Keep your focus on getting your shots, not on your whether your shooting progressive or not. Also before shooting 30p you need to read up on it...there are techniques to learn when shooting 30p, it requires more than just changing your camera's settings.

Your cameras should match... no point in shooting in 60i and 30p, it will all end up as 60i anyway...right now you have a lot to learn about your camera that is much more critical than interlaced vs. progressive.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Jeff,

As much as I suspected... but it's still brain teasing me that, in looking over the Vortex Media Training DVD for the Z7/Z5, Doug Jensen gives very instructive insight on so many topics, including how he would never shoot interlaced again, as, subjectively according to his own perspective, it looks so much like the 'evening news' or the like....

So, it's tempting to pursue a more filmic look, but as you say, until I am either equipped with a matching progressive camera and have boned up on related homework, I guess I'm in a holding pattern.

Thanks for your comments!

Last edited by John Reilly; April 7th, 2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: typo correction on "Jensen"
John Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Yes, 30p can look very nice, when shot properly. "Shot properly" is the key, and not something I've learned yet.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #21
Major Player

I'd like to try 30P as well but I don't have the time to practice right now. Let us know how it goes. Maybe someone can offer some serious shooting tips.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Great Info on 24p/30p

This has been a great forum thread for me to read. I to would like to understand what the advantage of 30p is over 24p and why my FX1000 only records 29.97fps to the tape.

Thanx for insight,
KPO
Kevin O'Connor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000