Confused XH-A1S V'S HVR Z5P - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 8th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Awesome to see you went with the Z5 Jason, hope you enjoy using it! Nice set up as well, I need to get myself a Lite Panel Micro at some point.

With the mic, I have used both the mic that comes with the camera and the NTG2. I personally cant tell much difference in sound quality, I think each one has its one advantages in other ways. For example, I always use the sony mic if I leave it attached the the camera manly because of its handy small size and short XLR cable. I then use the NTG2 for off camera stuff.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Jonathan, check the following link before purchasing the Micro if you haven't already. The Comer 900 and 1800 models (last in the video) makes the Micro look sick; the micro is weak, flimsy and ridiculously overpriced for something that looks and feels like a cheap toy.

6 On-Camera Video Lights Shootout | L.A. Color Blog
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Palfrey View Post
...With the mic, I have used both the mic that comes with the camera and the NTG2. I personally cant tell much difference in sound quality...
Jonathan, that's what I thought also because the mike that comes with the Z5 is amazingly good! I'd rather purchase something else rather than another mike.

Stelios
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Yeah I only borrow the NTG2 from my college when I need it. Rest of the time I just use the Sony one, its one of the big advantages of the Z5 that you get such a great mic included in the package. Also its small size and short lead is so handy.
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Jonathan, check the following link before purchasing the Micro if you haven't already. The Comer 900 and 1800 models (last in the video) makes the Micro look sick; the micro is weak, flimsy and ridiculously overpriced for something that looks and feels like a cheap toy.

6 On-Camera Video Lights Shootout | L.A. Color Blog
Yeah I would like to get the Comer except I dont know where to buy it here in the UK. The only handy thing with the Micro is that it is lighter weight. Ive used the sony LED light in the past and I find it makes the front of the camera way to front heavy for handheld.
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #21
Inner Circle

You would not like the comer then, but the 900 will run on NPF770, which is a bit lighter than the 970.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; November 9th, 2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old November 8th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #22
Regular Crew

the Lite Panel micro isa good unit. Yes it does look a little flimsy but i think it does a good job and yes is overpriced. Isnt all camera gear over priced? LOL

I mean the Z5P looks awesome and th quailty is awesome BUT it does have a plastic feel to it aswell which i dont like. Maybe tehnolody has come along way since i last made a purchase of this expense....

I tell you what though the sennheiser G3-112 is worth its weigh in gold!!! i love that thing...
Jason Selmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Also what i might do is test the shotgun mic that comes with the sony at my next shoot in 2 weeks and see what you guys think. I will need a smaller rig for this shoot as it will be mostly on foot for some parts and Tripod work when the seminar is on!!!!

fun times ahead!!!!
Jason Selmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Yes the sennheiser 112 is brilliant. Costs a fair bit but I am so impressed by how much better sound I can get using it, not to mention how easy to use it is.

Shame the litepannel isnt slightly better made or slightly cheaper, it does seem abit over priced.

I would like to go with the comer Jeff, as the better build quality, brighter light and cheaper price makes it great and I could easily live with extra weight. I just cant find it here in the UK.
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Jonathan, the ONLY place I have found the Comer is at the following place:

L.A. Color Shop | Photo/Video Gear Products

I have searched the web and found it nowhere else.
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #26
Major Player

The Comer is an awesome light and you can put it on the back shoe of the camera
Rob Morse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000