opinion please - v1 vs z5 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 15th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #31
Regular Crew

I'll admit that the Z5 is superior to the V1 but just because those images show such a dramatic difference AT THE SAME SETTINGS isn't that a little unfair to the V1? After all, it's not that the V1 couldn't produce images exposed similarly to the Z5 images shown. It would only require a change in the exposure settings.

I understand that the point is to illustrate that the Z5 is better, but the response to the image comparison almost suggests the V1 simply can't do the job.
Anthony Nalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #32
Inner Circle

The V1 has 1/4" chips that cannot collect the information possible with the Z5. It is not physically possible. There is nothing to be done that can make an inferior piece of equipment do the same job as a better piece.

It is like saying a 5lb hammer will do the same thing as a 10lb hammer, you just have to hit it harder.

People often buy 1/4" chipped cameras thinking they are "as good" as the bigger cameras if you just "work it right". If that were true, there would be no need for broadcast cameras...you could just by a cheap consumer camera and change the settings...sorry, it doesn't work that way.

If the 1/4" chipped camera works for you that is great. If and when you need a more expensive camera you will know when that time is.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; November 15th, 2009 at 02:56 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #33
Regular Crew

For the examples, if you have time to light, all I would have to do is up the lamp wattage. For weddings and some run and gun situations, well... The V1 is great outdoors, bad in low light.

For me:

V1 small & compact, infinite spinning focus ring, poor lcd, longest zoom, tape.
Z5 good low light, infinite spinning focus ring, have to buy MRC1.
Z7 good low light, proper lens, MRC1 included, much shorter zoom than V1/Z5.

Top features I look for in cameras:

Low Light
Tapeless
Proper Lens
Codec
Ergonomics

I think 1/4 vs 1/3 is moot, they are both not ideal. I would like to see V1 footage recorded on the Nano Flash, just for sh*ts and giggles.
Ed Quinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #34
Trustee

So a camera 2 or 3 years newer than the V1 and costing £1000 more (£2000 if you add solid state recording) gives a better picture!

Bears go in the woods!
Pope still a Catholic!

Thinking back, affordable tapeless recording was a pipe dream when the V1 came out. The world has moved on, certainly. Read Nigel Cooper's dvuser.co.uk review of the V1 from 2006, and then wonder if he'd give it such a glowing review today.

Speaking as a happy (non-commercial) V1 user, I or anyone else would probably be bonkers to buy one today. If I was doing this professionally, I'd drop the V1 like a hot potato and upgrade today, to either the Z5 or EX-1.
Old November 18th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #35
Trustee

back again.....

quick question. will my sony kit wide angle (.8) HG0862K work on the z5?

tia

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Look up the specs for your old camera, look at the lens size, and then get the lens size of the Z5 lens and you'll know.
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Leslie - 0862 means it's a 0.8x with a 62 mm thread, geddit? So no, it won't sit happily on the Z5's 72 mm filter thread.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Perhaps we should skip talking Z5 and move to the new Z5-R
http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowC...veContext=true

AVCHD and SD in MPEG2. No tape deck.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #39
Regular Crew

This link doesn't work
Alex Khachatryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Try this one for starters - other info /links currently in the DV Industry News section

Sony : Sony?s NXCAM: First look : United Kingdom
Old November 18th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #41
Inner Circle

From what I've read it looks nice.
Old November 18th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #42
Regular Crew

NXCAM is going to become a different subject of conversations. But what about Z5-R, what is it?
Alex Khachatryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #43
Trustee

Regarding the WA lens, the Sonys are also bayonet mount, further reducing the likelihood of ever making it fit successfully.

For a cheaper alternative, why not try a Red Eye? The barrel distortion is no worse than a Sony, it comes at 0.7x, it slips under the Sony lens hood without vignetting, and it's half the price. (Based on my V1 experience, not the Z5, I should point out).

For something I don't use a lot, except in tight spots, £200 (and fitting in a pocket) is a lot better than £400 (and needing its own truck to carry it).
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #44
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Leslie - 0862 means it's a 0.8x with a 62 mm thread, geddit? So no, it won't sit happily on the Z5's 72 mm filter thread.
hi tom,

actually the sony kit wa i have is a bayonet fitting, the same as that for the z5.

my question is if i use my .8 will it be zoom through as it is on the v1?

thanks
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Alex - I only Christened the NXCAM the Z5-R because Sony's upgrade of the EX1 is called the EX1-R and because this NXCAM is effectively the Z5's replacement.

I'm with Mike - Sony's bayonet-on, mild (0.8x) wide-angle zoom-throughs are huge when they have their hoods fitted, and a single element adapter like the Red-Eye is the way I go, meaning I can easily carry it on my person.

Yes Leslie - if it's zoom-thru on a V1 then it'll be zoom-thru on anything else it fronts.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000