Issues capturing from the Z5P at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 9th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Issues capturing from the Z5P

hi guys,

I was just trying to capture some test footage from the Z5p with Premiere Pro and it is saying "ERROR" no device orsomething like.

I know the firewire is working because when i plug it in and turn it on it buzzes and loads up and then has ILINK on the LCD screen.

I have been reading its a conflicting codec or seomthing like that???

Has anyone had thsi issue or know how to fix it?

thanks

Jason
Jason Selmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

delete * oops sorry I posted on wrong thread..
Ron Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Jason,

I was constantly battling PPro and FireWire capture with all my Sony camcorders (until I got the MRC1 and was able to ditch tape capture). I don't know if this will help you, but PPro is very picky in the order in which things are connected and turned on. And it seems to be inconsistent about its pickiness. Usually, the following scenario worked:

0. Turn off power to Z5
1. Start PPro
2. Connect FireWire cable to Z5
3. Turn on Z5 in VCR mode
4. Initiate capture.

When this sequence didn't work, I would mix up the order a bit and could always get PPro to eventually recognize the camera.
Bill Ackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

still no luck.... dam this is getting frustrating.... :(
Jason Selmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Re: Issues capturing from the Z5P

Bumping an old thread, but I'm having a similar issue. I've shot mainly DV until now. Trying to import HDV, no luck. I shot to tape, 1080i 60fps. I changed the camera VCR to HDV & the iLink format to HDV. I also changed Premiere CS4 capture setting to HDV.

I'm just getting a blank screen in Capture saying "Device not found". Any thoughts?
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:14 AM   #6
Trustee

download hdvsplit.....
Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:20 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks, I've been reading & coming across that a bit. I was hoping there was a way or glitch to avoid having to download & use a 3rd party, but I'll give it a try.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:11 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Always make sure you are making your connections with both devices powered off, then power on PC, then camcoorder. Sometimes this helps the PC see the cam over FW.

This is assuming all your Premiere project, capture and device control settings are HDV, as you've indicated they are.

Edit:
Quote:
I think I got it. My Video card has 2 firewire jacks, for some reason I think the camera only works in 1 of them.
Glad you got it figured out. Sorry I didn't reply in time, but frankly I wouldn't have guessed that was the issue. Sounds like you were doing everything else right.

You should think about the MRC1k card unit at some point, which just snaps right onto the back of the Z5. Once you go tapeless, you'll never go back.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000