DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Progressive or interlaced (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/467763-progressive-interlaced.html)

Jason Selmes November 15th, 2009 01:21 AM

Progressive or interlaced

Hi guys,

I am just checking what you guys think i should be capturing my weddings in?

At this stage the Sony Z5P captures in interlaced 50 and 25. It also captures Progressive 25P as I am in Australia and this is a PAL camera.

I shoot wedding but with this new camera im just getting used to it...

thanks guys

Adam Gold November 15th, 2009 01:33 AM

No, it shoots Interlaced 50i OR progressive 25p. There is no 25i.

It's really a personal choice of what you think is best. Experiment with both before your next gig. I suppose with the low light commonly found at weddings there might be an advantage to 25p, as you might be able to use a slower shutter speed.

Me, I shoot Interlaced only and have never found the need for anything else, as my stuff is pretty much only for TV, not PCs or Internet or cell phones.

Jeff Harper November 15th, 2009 01:35 AM

If you have not shot in progressive before, you will need to adjust your shooting techniques. I cannot find the tuturorial I'm thinking of, but try a google search for shooting techniques for progressive mode.

Since you are new to the camera, I stongly suggest going with interlaced until you know your camera controls.

If you are delivering in interlaced, which you likely are, it makes sense to just shoot in the style you are delivering. Progressive brings a host of issues and challenges, and I personally do not find it is worth it, though there are people here that are using it just fine. It looks nice, but I truthfully do not care for the downsides of it. I prefer to concentrate on content rather than have to adjust my shooting techniques...call me lazy.

Jason Selmes November 15th, 2009 02:56 AM

hay thanks guys yeah i was just asking i was just checking my output settings and i can select from interlaced 25 or 50?????

then 25 progressive... whats the 25 interlaced then?

Jason Selmes November 15th, 2009 04:54 AM

Hi guys,

Also what i wanted to ask.... I just captured some footage for my website intro and i noticed that i get this pixelation weird stuff going on.... Its perfect then all of a sudden i get this jerky pixelation... then it disappears....

ill do some footage up of it so you guys know what i mean

Adam Gold November 15th, 2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Selmes (Post 1447550)
i can select from interlaced 25 or 50?????

then 25 progressive... whats the 25 interlaced then?

I was just reading the Z5 manual and it doesn't describe this very well (I'm using the US version but the principles are the same, mostly).

In INTERLACED mode you can choose from 50 or 25, but that means it shoots 25P but writes to tape as 50i, so that tape decks that can't read true progressive can output the tape.

In PROGRESSIVE mode it does true 25p, playable in your cam or any other deck that does true 25p.

At least that's how it's been explained to me. I could be wrong.

Tim Akin November 15th, 2009 07:45 PM

I started out shooting in progressive mode for the first ten or so weddings I shot with the fx1000 but wasn't real happy with the jerky slow motion. I use a lot of slo-mo in the highlight video. The past four or five weddings I've been shooting interlaced and then render progressive. Real nice progressive look with smoooo-th slo-mo.

Jason Selmes November 16th, 2009 11:30 PM

Nice Tim great idea!!!!

im throwing up some footage tonight as i am getting some pixelation and i dont know why? its kinda weird but ill make a video about it... thanks for all your input guys