Best compact flash cards for Sony Z5 with MRC1K unit - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 11th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I can only tell you my experiences, and as such a sample size of one is always of questionable projectability.

That being said, I always thought there was no point to 16GB cards, as they're only a little longer than a tape, and my whole reason for going tapeless (well, my main reason, anyway) was to be able to record for much longer, continuously, than a tape would allow me to. It seems like the only reliability problems are being reported on the larger cards, though, so there may be a difference. At this point the cost per GB seems about the same within each brand and category.

In terms of 32GB cards, I have one Transcend 133x, which has worked fine. I had seven Kingston 133x cards, of which five went belly-up within the first day or two. I was able to get refunds on four of them (thanks, Amazon!) and had Kingston RMA one and send a replacement. So far it and the other two still work fine. Finally, I bought nine Sandisk Extreme IIIs (with the rebate they were offering they came out to about the same price as the others) and so far all nine have tested good.

I've heard mixed things about RiData.
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #17
Major Player

I think Adam was correct when he said it was about 200x. I decided to wait on the 32GB cards because they have some faster stuff coming out soon. I'm still somewhat skeptical about anything under 300x
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #18
Tourist

Hi.
i am utilizing constantly 1 32gb and 1 8gb (as backup) 30 mb/b extreme III
on my MRC1K (PAL) never encountered problems ... important never format
CF card on a PC or MAC only on the MRC1K.
regards mario
Mario de Paruta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:43 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario de Paruta View Post
Hi.
i am utilizing constantly 1 32gb and 1 8gb (as backup) 30 mb/b extreme III
on my MRC1K (PAL) never encountered problems ... important never format
CF card on a PC or MAC only on the MRC1K.
regards mario
2 x 32GB + 1 x 16GB Sandisc Extreme III 30Mb/s here too. Better still, never format them at all, unless they come up with some error REQUIRING a re-format! It's totally un-necessary - just delete the files!
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #20
Tourist

Best Compact flash for sony z5 with MRC1K unit?

I used 32 Gb pretec card x233 . Had some problems 1 file that had split into 3 would not transfer.
I had backed up to a 32 Gb & 4 Gb( Sandisk extreme IV 45Ms/s )cards to Lacie Rugged Hard Drive, straight from the CF Card after the Job. Done this on 2 occasions. In The Log & Transfer window in FCP 6 & 7 with the correct sony plugin. Only the files from the 4 GB card where able to Transfer.
Has anyone else had these issues.
Mark Abrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Update: I've now had a sixth (out of seven) Kingston Elite Pro 32GB 133x go belly up on me with the dreaded A:12 error. Kingston sent me a replacement but I have yet to test it.

So far, flawless performance from my nine Sandisks and one Transcend, all 32GB.
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Mystery

Adam,

I have a 133x Transcend 32GB as well. While I have not had data loss so far,I have encountered a couple of strange issues.

- Once I had wierd recording dates show up on a couple of clips . I imported them to my hard drive - then when I replaced the card into the MRC1 it showed an error - I reformatted the card and the issue hasn't came up again.[ thankfully ]

- The ".dat" file shows strange random dates. The other day I recorded several clips, got ready to import them and noticed the year was 1980. The clips I recorded yesterday show " tracks.dat Dec 31,2007 11:00pm 384kb DAT file " This has not caused data loss and the clip time/date info is correct.

The only issue is that during playback from the MRC1 via HDMI on my TV - the clip will sometimes freeze, go to blue screen , and then continue later in the clip. When that same clip is imported - no problems - complete clips.

I'm scared that the cards will fail at the wrong time - any ideas on what's up ?

Thanks,
Darin
Darin Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Puzzling. I'm wondering if these could be issues with your MRC rather than the card. Have you tested other cards?
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I only have one 16gb and one 32gb. Both Transcend 133x. I rarely use the 16gb - it's for back-up. I am strongly considering a faster card just in case that's the issue.
Under what circumstances should I reformat the card?
Darin Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #25
Major Player

I reformat my cards after each time I use them. No issues whatsoever.

I've been trying to get a 32GB Lexar 300x card but they sell as fast as they come in. Of course, I don't know what kind of quantities they're receiving.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Based on advice I've seen here (well, actually in the MRC forum) I never re-format. I just do a "Delete All" before every shoot.

But if you do reformat, remember that you must do it in the MRC, not your PC.
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #27
Major Player

I agree, never 'format, always 'delete all'

Ive been using 32gb transcend 133x for over a year, used them every weekend, never had any problems

James
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #28
Regular Crew

why not format?
that's my SOP and it's fine
Charlie Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:41 PM   #29
Regular Crew

I just got my setup today and am using the z5u and the mrck1 recorder and it was recommended by B and H that I use nothing slower than 60mbps, so I bought two 32gb 60 mbps cards from them ran it with no tape and the footage was awesome... He said do not use anything less than 60mbps...
Old May 5th, 2010, 01:55 AM   #30
Major Player

Sony dealers stock 16gb and 32gb Sandisk extreme 60mb/s cards - so have been using them and they work fine - have not missed a beat.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000