Best compact flash cards for Sony Z5 with MRC1K unit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 29th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Tourist

Best compact flash cards for Sony Z5 with MRC1K unit

I would be glad if anyone can recommend from experience the best make and type of compact flash card for use with a HVR-MRC1K fitted to my Sony Z5 camera. I bought a Kingston 16GB 133X card but it doesn't seem to be able to write data quickly enough (PAL 25fps). Any images containing the slightest movement appear jerky and I can only assume that frames are being dropped. Shots of the subject taken at the same time on tape are ok.
Graham Mowbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

You should do some recordings simultaneously on the card and the tape and then compare them to see if the cards are the problem.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Major Player

i use the sandisk extremeIII 16gig cards never had a problem
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Trustee

I also use sandisk extremeIII but the 32gig cards and so far I never had a problem.

Stelios
Old December 1st, 2009, 04:12 AM   #5
Tourist

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the info fellas. The footage was taken simultaneously on card and tape and it is definately the Kingston's slow write speed that is at fault. I will try a Sandisk high speed compact flash card as you suggested.
Graham Mowbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Sandisk

I use Sandisk everywhere - video, stills & audio and I've never had one fail on me yet - touch wood! (touches head ;-))

For the MRC1, I would recommend the 30Mbs ones (they have 30Mbs printed on them) as i have seen the Extreme III without that 30Mbs on them.
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
I also use sandisk extremeIII but the 32gig cards and so far I never had a problem.

Stelios
32gig cards are not recommended by sony Stelios make sure you record to card and tape
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Really? Where does Sony say not to use 32GB cards?

Sony makes no mention of 32GB cards at all that I can find. The bigger cards aren't mentioned in their MRC1k Operating Guide because they didn't exist when the Guide was written. It makes no mention of the Z5, either.

Last edited by Adam Gold; December 14th, 2009 at 06:43 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #9
Tourist

This might explain what happened when I bought my Z5. The Sony dealer quoted me on 32G cards, and just before shipping told me that the Z5 "didn't work" with 32G cards and supplied 2 X 16G cards instead (at a reduced price of course!). They are Pretec 333X cards. I am glad to see that others are using 32G cards, because I need the extra length for conference work. I haven't had a problem with them.
Cian O'Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Inner Circle

There are already a few threads on this, but FWIW I've had five of seven Kingston 32GB Elite Pro 133xes go total failure on me, just as has been described by others. They've been RMA'ed and I just ordered nine Sandisk Extreme IIIs -- they've got a huge rebate deal going which brings their price down to about the same as the Kingstons ($82 each). We'll see how they work.
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #11
Regular Crew

cf cards

Adam,

where are you purchasing your extreme III's ?
Darin Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Inner Circle

It's not a sponsor here, so email me and I'll send you a link...

But if you go to Bing Shopping and search for "32GB Compact Flash sandisk" you should end up with a (reasonably reputable) vendor selling a 3-pack for $446 after the Bing 3% cash back. Then there's a $200 rebate from Sandisk, which brings the price down to $82 each.
Old December 20th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #13
Major Player

I hate to sound stupid but what is the conversion for the 30MB/s in relation to the cards that go by speed? In other words, my Lexar is 300x, does the 30MB/s convert to a number like that?
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I believe it's the equivalent of 200x.

They don't make it easy for you to figure out, do they?
Old January 11th, 2010, 03:57 AM   #15
Trustee

sorry to re-visit this thread, but i'm getting my z5 sometime this month....

i gather from the above that san disk extreme lll are compatible and widely recommended here.

a. any there any other brands of note?

b. what exactly am i looking for in a cf card? as adam pointed out - it's not easy correlating the card speed to the mb/s of hdv.

c. are 2 x 16 better than 1 x 32gig? in regards to potential failure, etc.,

tia

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000