DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   More drop-outs than I expected, your thoughts? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/470352-more-drop-outs-than-i-expected-your-thoughts.html)

Mark Goodsell January 2nd, 2010 08:34 PM

More drop-outs than I expected, your thoughts?

After reviewing a bunch of footage I shot recently, I got a lot more drop outs than I was expecting with my new Z5. I'm using JVC mini-DV's which I've been using more or less exclusively for the last 6 years or so with mini-DV cams (that's why I stuck with them vs using Sony tapes). I also used some panasonic mini DV's that I had to purchase while on the road for this last shoot. I shot 30P with the Z5. Wierd thing is in some places where the drop-outs occur, if I eject and re-load the tape, it plays the dropped section fine. I'm fairly new to HDV, so go easy on me. Curiously, footage shot with my Canon HV30 does not seem to have produced any drop-outs (same batch of JVC mini DVs). I shot 60i with the Canon. Obviously my solution is to go with maybe Sony tapes, or HDV tapes, but I wanted to hear your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,

Adam Gold January 2nd, 2010 11:52 PM

1) New cams sometimes suffer more from dropouts until the heads get burnished, or so they say. There may also be manufacturing dust or gunk still on them. Could explain the non-repeating dropouts.

2) If you switched tape brands without a cleaning in between, the brands might use different lubricants and could help cause this. Or so they say.

3) I haven't used either JVC or Panny tapes, but I've read about a lot of problems with them. Anecdotally. Or so they say.

I haven't ever used anything other than a Sony tape in about five years. But I just put four new Z5s into service last month and had a lot more dropouts than usual, which I attribute to #1, above, and was expecting.

Jo Ouwejan January 3rd, 2010 12:21 PM

With me it worked just the other way around. With my previous cam a HV20, I used to suffer quite regular drop outs, while they have never showed with my FX1000. I use Sony Premiums on both cams.

Rob Morse January 5th, 2010 11:44 AM

I've used Panasonic tapes for the past 5 years. Until the past year I was strictly using the AMQ series but due to my using the MRC-1 as a backup, I tried using the cheaper PQ tapes. I have had 2 tiny dropouts over the few years of use with the AMQ tapes. I haven't seen anything with the PQ tapes, but to be fair, I don't view the tapes very much anymore since I use the MRC-1. That solid state is so sweet when loading in the footage. Five minutes start to finish.

Mark Goodsell January 9th, 2010 04:05 PM

Adam,

You may have something when you suggest new cams sometimes have drop-outs. I noticed on my later tapes there have been NO drop-outs whatsoever. It's also possible Sony tested it with their tape ...and cleaned the heads prior to shipping, then I come along and stick in JVC/Panasonic tapes. Who knows. Anyway, all seems good, now. Thanks