DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Viewfinder not working on Z5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/470620-viewfinder-not-working-z5.html)

Paul Zetter January 7th, 2010 07:33 PM

Viewfinder not working on Z5

I've just got my Z5 out after using another camera for a month and the electronic viewfinder isn't working. I've checked all the settings and reset the camera but still no joy. Everything else works fine and it was working when I put it away. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks, Paul

Jo Ouwejan January 8th, 2010 02:59 AM

Did you open the LCD at the same time? Because I know, that in the basic settings, the viewfinder does not show the image, when the LCD is open. You can change that in the settings to show an image on the VF as well.

Leslie Wand January 8th, 2010 04:26 AM

well i was just thinking what jo wrote when i read your post.....

don't be shy....

Paul Zetter January 8th, 2010 07:04 AM

VF powermode

Yes, if you set this to 'auto' the viewfinder won't be on when you open the lcd but if you set it to 'on' it's always on no matter about the lc being open or not and unfortunately this is the setting it's on in my camera but thanks for the replies. any more ideas? thank you Paul

Jun Galinato January 9th, 2010 01:28 AM

If the viewfinder won't work either close or open LCD, then you have a bad viewfinder or broken ribbon cable.

Paul Zetter January 9th, 2010 08:02 PM

Ribbon cable

Can you explain what this is? Does it break from impact or wear? thanks, Paul

Jun Galinato January 10th, 2010 03:11 AM

Possible manufacturing defect. Cold solder or loose connection, who knows. If it's new you can just exchange it or send it to service.

Mark Goodsell January 10th, 2010 01:39 PM

Does the LCD always stay on, even when closed, or does it shut off? There is a switch inside the case that engages the LCD and turns off the viewfinder. That could be faulty as well.

Paul Zetter January 12th, 2010 04:01 AM

Switch

Yes, I've just noticed the LCD switch on the recessed inner (closest) inside edge to the handle but it appears to be working i.e. the LCD switches off when closed. Thanks for the lead though. Paul

Mark Goodsell January 12th, 2010 06:26 PM

You've probably already done this, but try toggling the VF setting to 'Off', turn off the unit, then lturn it 'On' again in the menu settings. Very unlikely to make a difference, but...

Otherwise, probably going to have to take it to a Sony service center. If you are coming to the US, you could call/send it to Full Compass.com.

If you have decent electronic/mechanical skills you may consider taking it apart to a certain point to see if you find anything obvious. Get ahold of a service manual or CD (Ebay?) . Chances are high that a cable has become unplugged or a bad solder joint. I took my HV30 apart in order to do the LCD hack. There was a lot to do, but the parts/pieces are mostly modular and definitely do-able. Take lots of pictures. It's not that tough. Then again, I've had plenty of experience with electronics. If you don't feel comfortable with that, just take it in and get it dealt with. There is probably 80% chance that the problem you won't know how to identify the problem anyway if you don't have electronics experience. Wish I could offer more help.

Paul Zetter January 13th, 2010 03:08 AM

thanks

many thanks Mark and everyone else - still VF still dead. Luckily I have a 3 year warranty so contacting Sony now but very unusual - I've never had a problem with any Sony camera until now.

Leslie Wand January 13th, 2010 03:15 AM

let us know what it was please - better forewarned....

Mark Goodsell January 13th, 2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Luckily I have a 3 year warranty so contacting Sony now but very unusual - I've never had a problem with any Sony camera until now.
Good deal (I also bought the 3 year warranty). Hopefully it'll be a quick turn-around and they'll cover it. Keep us in the loop.

Rolando Lugo April 20th, 2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Zetter (Post 1469324)
I've just got my Z5 out after using another camera for a month and the electronic viewfinder isn't working. I've checked all the settings and reset the camera but still no joy. Everything else works fine and it was working when I put it away. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks, Paul

Hi Paul I have the same problem as you with my VF. Did you fix your VF problem? I would appreciate your pointers.

Thanks,
R.

Paul Zetter April 21st, 2010 09:03 AM

viewfinder design fault?

Dear Rolando

This is timely as I've just got my camera back for the mender (not an official guy but can fix anything) here in Vietnam for the second time with this fault. He says the ribbon cable attaching the viewfinder cup to the body at the hinge is a different design to the Z1 and is a design weakness (in his opinion) as the hinge rubs on the connector not the fold of the ribbon. He's made a modification for my camera so fingers crossed although my warranty may be void now. Hope this helps