Z5, et al. handling enthusiastic speakers? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 26th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Z5, et al. handling enthusiastic speakers?

I've been using Canon XL series cameras for years and I'm seriously considering moving to the Z5U or the NxCam version (or EX1R for that matter) and I hate to bring up the "jello" issue again, but I haven't worked with any of these cmos cameras before.

From time to time, I film meetings with the speaker walking back and forth, side to side, never standing still. Of course the ccd's handle that fine. Should I expect a problem from 30 feet back or so, with a 25 ft side to side range for brisk paced person?

Thanks in advance.
David Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Major Player

It's been a non-issue for me. I have yet to see that effect and I do whip pans and everything else you can think of.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

While I've seen the effect on the Z5, it's been under conditions whereupon the user had to try hard to make them noticeable. Typically it's on close in, whip pans at certain shutter speeds. In real life situations, I've not experienced jellocam with the Z5.

Dave
Dave Burckhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Trustee

well, from my v1 cmos's i've never had a problem - and i film racehorses running around in paddocks - all those fence posts.......

i don't deny the effect exists, it's just i've never come across it.

the only 'problem' that i'm aware and have seen for myself is that associated with camera flash - and frankly, big deal....
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #5
Major Player

I like the idea of also considering the NX5U, Z7 or EX1R (doesn't it use expensive SxS cards?).
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Panning will not be an issue, even in progressive as long as you follow the action.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #7
Major Player

I have a Z7 & rarely, if ever do I see CMOS skew. You really have to be doing whip-pans to see it.

So unless the speakers you'll be taping bounce back & forth faster than a tennis ball, you won't see any difference. (Except, of course, for the amazing HD picture over you SD XL cameras.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000