DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Z5 / FX1000 coming down in price? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/472419-z5-fx1000-coming-down-price.html)

James Strange February 7th, 2010 11:31 AM

Z5 / FX1000 coming down in price?

Anyone think the z5/fx1000 will come down in price now that the new AVCHD cams (NX5 / AX2000) are coming out?

In the market to replace my fx7 (which is a b cam to my z5) and was prob gonna get an fx1000, but i see the fx1000 and the ax2000 are pretty much the same price.

James

Adam Gold February 7th, 2010 01:06 PM

Interestingly, as of yesterday, the FX1000 was back up to $3199 at B&H. That's what I bought mine for, then of course when I was selling them the price for new ones dropped like $300 so I took a bath. Now they're back up.

Go figure. The MSRP of the FX and the AX are supposed to be the same (I think -- at least that's true of the Z5 and NX5), but I'd assume the FX street price would be lower at some point.

Lukas Siewior February 7th, 2010 07:23 PM

I've seen B&H selling FX1000 for $2900 at the time of AX announcement. Then the price went back to $3200. You can buy new FX1000 at Abe of Main for $3k flat. Sony will have to drop the price of FX if they want to empty the warehouses - at current prices nobody will go with FX.

PS. That's what I'm hoping for because I need another FX by April.

Shawn Legg February 16th, 2010 02:16 AM

Well, I just bought one a few months ago so I would think with my luck there will be a huge drop in price very shortly. :)

Will Tucker February 16th, 2010 10:07 PM

For those of you in the market for a FX1000, what price would make you go for it instead of the newer Sony cams coing out?

Lukas Siewior February 17th, 2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Tucker (Post 1487067)
For those of you in the market for a FX1000, what price would make you go for it instead of the newer Sony cams coing out?

I'm in the market but I can wait another month or month-and-a-half. I'd buy it asap if someone would sell it for $2.9-3k - actually you can get it for $3k but on eBay from uncertain source. If B&H would offer for that price I would be in heaven.

Daniel Hepokoski February 17th, 2010 06:57 PM

I'm also hoping to buy an FX1000 by the end of March. I'm not interested in solid-state-only, so the new cams are not an option for me. I'd love to see the price drop back down to $2900, where B&H (and others) had it for a while. (I even saw B&H drop down to $2830 for a few days, but I wasn't ready to make the purchase at the time.) If the price doesn't drop, I'll probably settle for a used FX1000 a friend is selling. However, I'd much rather buy new-- just not for $3200!

Lukas Siewior February 20th, 2010 02:21 PM

Just checked B&H and the price went down by $61 to $3138.

Lukas Siewior February 25th, 2010 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukas Siewior (Post 1488649)
Just checked B&H and the price went down by $61 to $3138.

Just checked it again - B&H is adding 2x NP-F970 batteries for free with the camera. Which makes it aprox $2950 now.

Lukas Siewior March 1st, 2010 08:25 PM

And another drop - $20 less - down to $3118 + 2x NP-F970 batteries.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? They have too much in stock and nothing is selling because of NX5?

Leslie Wand March 1st, 2010 10:23 PM

lukas, why don't you just go out there and buy one!?

what you're doing is senseless - waiting for the (your) perfect price point to turn up (and what do you consider the perfect price?).

if you think it's too expensive, then buy a cheaper camera. if you really want this one, just go and buy the damn thing!

if it's for a hobby, well, you have more money than sense. if it's for business then the longer you delay the less likely you are to earn anything from it.....

please, don't take this wrongly - there's a lot of people who wait, and wait, and wait a bit longer for 'technology' to become 'affordable'. when it does you can probably guess that a new model is just around the corner and your dream technology just became 'obsolete'.

leslie

btw. the rise and fall in price usually has NOTHING to do with the 'perceived value' of the camera but all to do with the exchange rate. added extras are the same inducements that car manufactures add to showroom models. a 'come-on', nothing more.

Alex Khachatryan March 2nd, 2010 12:08 AM

My Z5 is up for sale. Taking offers.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-...-z5u-sale.html

Lukas Siewior March 2nd, 2010 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 1493285)
lukas, why don't you just go out there and buy one!?

I am buying :-) But first need to collect all the money I need for it, which will be by the end of this month. And I'll buy for whatever price it will be at that moment. I'm just having fun observing the prices - almost like a stock exchange :-) And yes - it's for business.

Leslie Wand March 2nd, 2010 07:21 AM

i'm sure we'll all be interested to read your opinion of it :-)

personally i'm still taken with the pic quality compared to my v1. and since i have relatively small hands, the menu wheel suits me just fine.....

enjoy it once you get it!

Lukas Siewior March 2nd, 2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 1493439)
i'm sure we'll all be interested to read your opinion of it :-)

personally i'm still taken with the pic quality compared to my v1. and since i have relatively small hands, the menu wheel suits me just fine.....

enjoy it once you get it!

It'll be my 2nd one. I bought first one a year ago (actually in March too). I'm extremely happy with it. Does the job right without too much input from cameraman. But when you need to play with it, it has everything you'll ever need.