Z5 / FX1000 coming down in price? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 7th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Major Player

Z5 / FX1000 coming down in price?

Anyone think the z5/fx1000 will come down in price now that the new AVCHD cams (NX5 / AX2000) are coming out?

In the market to replace my fx7 (which is a b cam to my z5) and was prob gonna get an fx1000, but i see the fx1000 and the ax2000 are pretty much the same price.

James

Last edited by James Strange; February 7th, 2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Interestingly, as of yesterday, the FX1000 was back up to $3199 at B&H. That's what I bought mine for, then of course when I was selling them the price for new ones dropped like $300 so I took a bath. Now they're back up.

Go figure. The MSRP of the FX and the AX are supposed to be the same (I think -- at least that's true of the Z5 and NX5), but I'd assume the FX street price would be lower at some point.
Old February 7th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #3
Major Player

I've seen B&H selling FX1000 for $2900 at the time of AX announcement. Then the price went back to $3200. You can buy new FX1000 at Abe of Main for $3k flat. Sony will have to drop the price of FX if they want to empty the warehouses - at current prices nobody will go with FX.

PS. That's what I'm hoping for because I need another FX by April.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Well, I just bought one a few months ago so I would think with my luck there will be a huge drop in price very shortly. :)
Shawn Legg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

For those of you in the market for a FX1000, what price would make you go for it instead of the newer Sony cams coing out?
Old February 17th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Tucker View Post
For those of you in the market for a FX1000, what price would make you go for it instead of the newer Sony cams coing out?
I'm in the market but I can wait another month or month-and-a-half. I'd buy it asap if someone would sell it for $2.9-3k - actually you can get it for $3k but on eBay from uncertain source. If B&H would offer for that price I would be in heaven.
Old February 17th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #7
New Boot

I'm also hoping to buy an FX1000 by the end of March. I'm not interested in solid-state-only, so the new cams are not an option for me. I'd love to see the price drop back down to $2900, where B&H (and others) had it for a while. (I even saw B&H drop down to $2830 for a few days, but I wasn't ready to make the purchase at the time.) If the price doesn't drop, I'll probably settle for a used FX1000 a friend is selling. However, I'd much rather buy new-- just not for $3200!
Daniel Hepokoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Major Player

Just checked B&H and the price went down by $61 to $3138.
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Siewior View Post
Just checked B&H and the price went down by $61 to $3138.
Just checked it again - B&H is adding 2x NP-F970 batteries for free with the camera. Which makes it aprox $2950 now.
Old March 1st, 2010, 08:25 PM   #10
Major Player

And another drop - $20 less - down to $3118 + 2x NP-F970 batteries.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? They have too much in stock and nothing is selling because of NX5?
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:23 PM   #11
Trustee

lukas, why don't you just go out there and buy one!?

what you're doing is senseless - waiting for the (your) perfect price point to turn up (and what do you consider the perfect price?).

if you think it's too expensive, then buy a cheaper camera. if you really want this one, just go and buy the damn thing!

if it's for a hobby, well, you have more money than sense. if it's for business then the longer you delay the less likely you are to earn anything from it.....

please, don't take this wrongly - there's a lot of people who wait, and wait, and wait a bit longer for 'technology' to become 'affordable'. when it does you can probably guess that a new model is just around the corner and your dream technology just became 'obsolete'.

leslie

btw. the rise and fall in price usually has NOTHING to do with the 'perceived value' of the camera but all to do with the exchange rate. added extras are the same inducements that car manufactures add to showroom models. a 'come-on', nothing more.

Last edited by Leslie Wand; March 1st, 2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: afterthought
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:08 AM   #12
Regular Crew

My Z5 is up for sale. Taking offers.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-...-z5u-sale.html
Alex Khachatryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:21 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
lukas, why don't you just go out there and buy one!?
I am buying :-) But first need to collect all the money I need for it, which will be by the end of this month. And I'll buy for whatever price it will be at that moment. I'm just having fun observing the prices - almost like a stock exchange :-) And yes - it's for business.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:21 AM   #14
Trustee

i'm sure we'll all be interested to read your opinion of it :-)

personally i'm still taken with the pic quality compared to my v1. and since i have relatively small hands, the menu wheel suits me just fine.....

enjoy it once you get it!
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:33 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
i'm sure we'll all be interested to read your opinion of it :-)

personally i'm still taken with the pic quality compared to my v1. and since i have relatively small hands, the menu wheel suits me just fine.....

enjoy it once you get it!
It'll be my 2nd one. I bought first one a year ago (actually in March too). I'm extremely happy with it. Does the job right without too much input from cameraman. But when you need to play with it, it has everything you'll ever need.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000