Z5 supplied mic - ECM-XM1 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 12th, 2010, 05:21 AM   #1
New Boot

Z5 supplied mic - ECM-XM1

Hi

Forum newbie here...

I've recently bought a Z5. Although I know it's not the best mic out there I was considering trying to use the supplied mic (ECM-XM1) on the end of a boom in a project coming up.

At the moment I'm struggling to know what shockmount might make that possible.

Has anyone any experience of swapping this mic onto a boom mount?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

T
Tony Fogarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Trustee

i wouldn't consider the mic that good - you'd be better either hiring or buying something.

i read that rode have some pretty good, and relatively inexpensive shot gun mics, and they also do a range of suitable fittings, both for their own and other mics...

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #3
Go Cycle

I replaced the stock mic. on my Z-5 with the RODE NTG-1. An outstanding mic. However, the SONY mic. is an improvement over the PD-170 mic.
Old February 12th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Major Player

I couldn't find any specs on the mic, but doesn't seem to me to be 20,000hz mike. But it's not too bad either. It's compact, that is one good thing about it. I went with a Sennheiser ME64.
Old February 17th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback guys... Look's like a bit more cash being splashed then... I'm erring towards the Rode NTG2 now.
Tony Fogarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Tourist

Hi there,

I have just recently went through the same exercise and after extensive research from trying out and professional opinions this is what I concluded:

The Sennheiser 416 is by far the best mic in its catogary to the point it was delisted then listed again by popular demand. At over 800 this was well over my budget.

The Sony ECM 678 get a great write up but grossly over priced in many peoples opinion at around 800.

Again Sennheiser boast the ME66 but you do hear a slight buzzing, cost around 400

The best mic by far that I tested (and in others opinion) was the Rode NTG-3 ranging between 350 - 400.

If you go for any you will probably need a mic suspension kit to hold the mic away out of view from the camera (especially if you have a windcover on)
Best price I seen and it works great with lots of extras included is the Rycote universal camera kit:
Soundkit Ltd, UK Rycote Universal Camera Kit
Mark Devine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000