DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   jagged edges (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/472906-jagged-edges.html)

Dale Guthormsen February 15th, 2010 11:19 AM

jagged edges

1 Attachment(s)
good morning,

Here is a frame. the boards, particularly the yeoow line is jagged.

is this fixable by canera technique, or in post.

is this the rolling shutter issue?

dale

Lukas Siewior February 15th, 2010 08:29 PM

were you panning as you took that shot? looks like rolling shutter effect.

Dale Guthormsen February 15th, 2010 10:36 PM

YES i WAS SWINGING LEFT TO RIGHT.

dALE

Jo Ouwejan February 16th, 2010 02:54 AM

They say you could avoid that, by shooting Progresive iso Interlaced.

Jeff Harper February 16th, 2010 12:05 PM

Panning/scanning is more problematic in progressive. Panning in progressive is relatively OK as long as you are following a subject.

Dale Guthormsen February 16th, 2010 05:09 PM

Good evening,

In general the subjects on this hockey game were quite good even though lighting was dismal, typical of small community rinks. The problem laid with the background not being very pristine.

I shoot with depth of field max so that there are minimal focusing issues as the players go end to end; hence, less manual movement of the lens and keeping them relatively sharp.

In this regard the fx 1000 has been awesome, much better than my four canons.

Now this footage had to be down rezed to SD for delivery and it made the jaggies of the horizontal line more noticable!!!

Is there a way i can fix this or avoid it!!!

I was looking seriously at an ex 3 and did not buy one for fear of the rolling shutter in high movement shots, (90 % of what I do is high speed action.) I am now thinking that was perhaps a wise move.

PLease correct me if I am worng or there is a way to get around this!!! I think this is an awesome little camera!!!!

Jeff Harper February 17th, 2010 08:04 AM

Dale, this is such a minor issue in your image I would just move on. Don't lose perspective...you are not shooting with broadcast cameras, nor should you expect your video to be broadcast quality with 1/3" sensors in the low-lit hockey rink. Just shoot the best you can and forget it. This is not rocket science, nor hollywood. I would suggest that you finish the project and move on to the next one. Obsession over these things we have virtually no control over is not healthy.

Dale Guthormsen February 17th, 2010 11:56 AM

Jeff,

Thanks for good advice!! I do tend to obsess over small things.

Moving on. Until I win the lottery and start with a genisis.

Dale

Leslie Wand February 18th, 2010 02:08 AM

as jeff rightly says - move on.

we all want perfection, but perfection comes at a high price usually. i doubt even a ex3, or any 'prosumer camera' would give really noticeably better results.

better send a circular to the rinks pointing out that their abysmal lighting is ruining your footage ;-)

and, if your audience is watching the jaggies, they obviously aren't interested in ice hockey ;-)