DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Dropouts!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/474206-dropouts.html)

Denny Gulvas March 5th, 2010 03:10 PM

Dropouts!!!

I have only had this camera for less than a week and have noticed a few of the dreaded "dropouts". I have been recording onto a Sony`s HDM-63VG tape and have recorded "over" several segments while testing this camera. I would expect NO dropouts from a brand new camera like this and their top of the line tapes. Is the "recording-over" issue possibly the cause of the dropouts? Has anyone else experienced many during their recordings? I just got rid of a Professional DV camera because of a nagging "headclog" problem and now I`m experincing tape related problems with this camera! Can someone provide any answers or solutions, thank you.....

Don Bloom March 5th, 2010 03:25 PM

Recording over a tape can cause the drops or it could be the tape itself. Have you tried another tape to check it? I have found over the years I generally get 1 bad tape out of a couple of hundred unfortunately you never know which tape it's going to be which of course can be a problem, but what can you do.
If it continues, you might run a head cleaner thru it (follow the directions closely) as there might be some gunk on the heads even though it's a brand new camera. Things happen during the manufacturing process, so I guess anything is possible.

Dale Guthormsen March 5th, 2010 03:47 PM

The only time I have ever had drop outs on any of my canons or sony's has been on used tapes, even if they are stripped.

If its important I always use new tape!! I have not had a bad tape yet, touch wood, eh?

dale

Adam Gold March 5th, 2010 04:00 PM

Also, brand new cams are more prone to dropouts until the heads get "burnished." Should go away after about ten tapes. But I agree with the others -- never re-use tape.

Ron Evans March 5th, 2010 04:31 PM

!!

The only problems I have ever had is with Sony expensive tapes. The straight DV tapes have worked flawlessly. Had the same issues with Hi8. Expensive Pro tape had dropouts consumer no dropouts. Should have learned my lesson but tried the 1 expensive HDV tape and had drop outs. Went back to the nice blue DV Premium tapes and have never had a problem !!!!

Dale Guthormsen March 6th, 2010 07:58 PM

I only use the blue premium sony dv tapes!!!

they are pretty rock solid.

Gary Janello March 6th, 2010 08:31 PM

I just finished a 16 hour filming on my FX1000 Sony using only the blue premium sony tapes. NO recording dropouts, but a couple times during playback capture I noticed a dropout, but when re-recording it, the drop out was gone. Very Happy with this camera!

Lukas Siewior March 7th, 2010 01:19 PM

I used my FX1000 for weddings last season and never had any issues with dropouts - and I'm also running on Sony's blue tapes.

Jeff Harper March 7th, 2010 08:54 PM

One of cams had dropouts, the other didn't. Still don't know what the issue was.

Denny Gulvas March 8th, 2010 07:33 AM

Thanks for all the input. The camera is now at a point where it will NOT even playback at all except for the "bluescreen" unless a headcleaner is run through! Sounds like "headclogs" to me which is exactly why I abandoned my old JVC DV-500... Only a few days old, I can`t and will not take chances, it`s going back for an exchange. From what I can see so far I do like this camera for filming wildlife but am a bit upset with this first experience!

Mark Goodsell March 12th, 2010 09:56 PM

Mine produced some intermittent drop-outs on the first couple tapes when it was new. I'd say 10-ish drop outs per tape. I was using JVC tapes, but switched to Panasonic PQ tapes. I never ran a head cleaner to it. I shot several tapes worth of footage last week. Problem seems to be resolved ..at least on the PQ tapes.

Mark G

Rob Morse March 12th, 2010 10:44 PM

I've used Panasonic tapes for years without a problem. I used to use the AMQ but switched to the PQ, due to the fact they are now just for archive (I use the MRC1)

Stefanos Lampridis June 1st, 2010 03:53 AM

When i shoot weddings i don't really notice drop outs, but when i do concerts drop outs are annoying to say the least...
In a three hour show i have at leas 5 to 10 dropouts.

I use Sony Premium tapes (the orange package with the black and red tape inside) and i have the camera over a year now.
I do clean the heads.

Any solutions / thoughts?

Leslie Wand June 1st, 2010 08:25 AM

i shoot on average 60+ tapes between nov and march every year (horse season) using ordinary mini dv sony tapes (premium - orange pack).

you can add another 40 or so the rest of the year.

i probably have had a maximum of maybe 10 drop-outs per 100 tapes shot - most of those probably caused by dust kicked up by the race horses.

my z5 has performed drop out free through maybe 70 tapes. however, i have just started using cf cards as well and using the tape as back up, so can't comment on the last 20 or so tapes...

BTW - ALWAY use NEW tapes. for what they cost you'd have to be pretty hard up not to.....

Stefanos Lampridis June 1st, 2010 09:47 AM

maybe it's a good idea to send it for a check then?