DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Anyone suggest an LCD hood for my Z5. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/474359-anyone-suggest-lcd-hood-my-z5.html)

Deniz Ahmet March 8th, 2010 10:04 AM

Anyone suggest an LCD hood for my Z5.

Anyone got the official Sony hood - SH-L32WBP . Does it work well?

Thanks

Lukas Siewior March 8th, 2010 12:05 PM

I have it on my FX1000 - very nice quality and works good. But still it's not enough to help in extreme sunlight conditions. Definitely worth the money if you need it.

Lionel Bloomfield March 9th, 2010 03:13 AM

I bought a Hoodman H-400 at the recent Video Forum in London. Despite being assured by the Sales guy that this was the correct item for my camera it is in fact to big ! Also unfortunately I think the next size down, HD-300, will be too small.

So £20 lighter for the privilege am going to have a go at making my own until I find something suitable. Interested to hear if any others have found something for this.

Mark Wheelan March 9th, 2010 10:18 PM

I use the official Sony hood on the Z5 and really like it. It fits well, fold ups nicely and stays on the cam when I store it. Where I live its bright summers and on occasion it has been challenging in the sun when I film for fun, but normally it works very well. Albeit this is my first real video camera and my experience as a "pro" is quite limited. The majority of what I film professionally is staged and controlled.

Lionel Bloomfield March 10th, 2010 12:32 AM

Hi Mark

Yes I saw Deniz's post on this also and think I will have to give it a look. I had seen it on one of the Trade sites but the suggestion was that it only fitted the Z7 & the 270. Should have realised the screen size on these cameras was the same, but good to know from an independent source that it fits and works well. Thanks Mark.

Lou Bruno March 10th, 2010 07:40 AM

I use the Sony hood - SH-L32WBP on my Z-5. It is the only wasy to go. The HOODMAN did not cut it for me. You will have no problems with the real SONY accessory.

Mark Wheelan March 10th, 2010 11:19 AM

When the hood is folded for storage it adds about 1-inch to the height of the camera. I was happy to finally have something I could comment on. :)

Lionel Bloomfield March 13th, 2010 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Bruno (Post 1497507)
I use the Sony hood - SH-L32WBP on my Z-5. It is the only wasy to go. The HOODMAN did not cut it for me. You will have no problems with the real SONY accessory.

Thanks Lou, Marc, ordered the Sony Hood on the basis on your recommendations and it arrived yesterday. Unfortunately not much sun here in the UK at the moment to test it in challenging conditions but from use so far certainly seems to do the business.

Lou - Didn't realise you were on this forum also, like you I've been a member of the Cassie list for sometime - Probably more years than I create remember ;-)

Happy edits - Lionel