DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Sony Free Trade (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/474771-sony-free-trade.html)

Dale Guthormsen March 14th, 2010 01:03 PM

Sony Free Trade

Good afternoon,

Well, I always use our sponsors as much as possible. I did so when I bought my fx 1000.

I had the fire wire port burn out the first week I had it, easy fix even if annoying.

I drove 170 miles to deliver it to the sony repair shop closest to me here in Canada.

Only to tell me they can't repair a Camera purchased in the US!!!!!!

So much for free trade between Canada and US!!!!!!!

Now I am upset!

dale guthormsen

Jo Ouwejan March 14th, 2010 01:35 PM

Same would happen to you over here in Europe, Even between states.

Chris Soucy March 14th, 2010 01:44 PM

Hi Dale..............

Can't or won't?

Bet it's the latter.

The way the system works is logical but stupid.

A manufacturer appoints agents to service it's gear in a particular location.

However, in order for that agent to get reimbursed by the manufacturer, it needs to show that the item is covered by that manufacturers warranty in that particular location (you can bet your sweet bippy that anti- competition legislation operating in the USA doesn't apply in Canada, which means they can screw Canadian consumers to their hearts content).

Obviously, Sony hasn't thought this through and is insisting that only items bought from Sony dealers in Canada will be repaired under warranty in Canada.

Think you need to get in touch with Sony and point out that Canada is the 53rd State of the Union and they'd better get their heads straight on this, pronto.

It would also be prudent to contact the vendor of the equipment in the USA to inform them of the problem, they MAY pay for shipping to a USA facility which WILL fix it (pigs might just fly but if it's "sssh, you know who in NY", it just might happen!).

CS

PS: I am, actually, Canadian, and my old man was born in Saskatch.....

Shaun Roemich March 14th, 2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 1499519)
point out that Canada is the 53rd State of the Union

Hey hey... no offense to my 'Merican friends but them is "fightin' words"...

You oughta know better...

;>

Steve Renouf March 16th, 2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy
point out that Canada is the 53rd State of the Union

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1499655)
Hey hey... no offense to my 'Merican friends but them is "fightin' words"...

You oughta know better...

;>

I thought the UK was the 53rd state these days anyway...

Dale Guthormsen March 16th, 2010 08:30 PM

And, I thought the U.S. is a small southern territory of Canada.

We even lowered our dollar by a few cents to help the economy along, and we also send them lots of good hockey players.

LOL

Dale

Will call Sony tomarrow!!!!

Andrew Khalil March 26th, 2010 12:22 PM

even if you need to ship things back to the US for repair, I've found it worth it to but things from there. Example - the EX1R sells at BH for 6300 US, and in Canada it goes for 7300 which is absolutely ludicrous. Sony needs to smarten up and adjust pricing so that they match.

Jo Ouwejan March 26th, 2010 02:02 PM

Yeah! They should increase prices in the US! This is just not fair! Also in Europe things are much more expensive!
Or did you mean they should decrease "our" prices?

Shaun Roemich March 26th, 2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen (Post 1500713)
and we also send them lots of good hockey players.

And comedians!

Oh, and William Shatner.

Dale Guthormsen March 27th, 2010 11:10 AM

Good Morning,

Ah, william shatner!! Yes!!

I grew up in Encino, California. We belonged to an archery club that shot tuesdays. William Shatner and his daughter used to come and shoot the odd tuesday.

funny how things go around!!!

Have two weddings to do shortly so we wont be sending the camera off to the states till JUne or so.

there is never a good time.

I agree, it is still a lot cheaper to buy at B&H and their service is stellar.

I think the people in England get ripped the most!!! they just change it from dollars to pounds, not so bad at the moment but in the past, it is straight extorsion!!!

Dale Guthormsen