DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Sony Z5 Steadyshot works or not? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/476537-sony-z5-steadyshot-works-not.html)

Silas Barker April 9th, 2010 06:53 PM

Sony Z5 Steadyshot works or not?

I am having trouble getting my steadyshot on my newish Z5 camera to work when zoomed in.

In fact having the steadyshot on or off seems to do almost nothing.

I came from the Z1, and I had no shake problems, but with the Z5 it seems impossible to have a steady shot with any zoom at all. It may be the balance of the camera, my wrist not strong enough to hold a 5lb camera or something else.......

Ideas?!

Leslie Wand April 9th, 2010 06:58 PM

could be that you're now working with a x20 zoom rather than a x12?

i would have thought (judging by your post) that using a tripod might be advantageous when zooming fully in.

leslie

Silas Barker April 9th, 2010 06:59 PM

I should be able to zoom half way and get a decent shot, but it seems like it wobbbbleeeessss terribly.

Do you have the Z5? I wonder if this is a error with my camera, it really should be better then this, or maybe I need to adjust to a heavier camera

Leslie Wand April 10th, 2010 06:31 AM

have z5 -though i usually shoot on legs, the occasions i have hand held with steadyshot on seem to have worked well (as opposed to turning it off) - however, i usually am shooting pretty wide in most cases.....

can you get access to another z5, or perhaps visit a showroom and try one out there?

Stu Holmes April 10th, 2010 09:19 AM

I agree with Leslie's strategy.
- Simply take it to a store that has a Z5 available for demo, where you can check your unit it back-to-back with the demo Z5, and then this will instantly tell you whether it's a problem with your specific unit. That's absolutely the first thing to do.

Silas Barker April 10th, 2010 12:39 PM

Try this with your Z5,

Set up a cup or other object about 3 feet away, zoom in so that the cup fills the width of the screen, standing about 3 feet away, you should be at about 60-70% of your zoom.

Turn your steadyshot on and off and see if it makes any difference.

For me there is no difference whatsoever.
I can't wait 4 weeks for Sony to get the camera and send it back. I just did that because something went wrong and the lens had to be replaced. Its still under warranty but I dont have enough time between jobs to send it away that long.

Silas Barker April 10th, 2010 12:56 PM

Ha. Here it says the camera has no steadyshot, even though the function exists on the camera....

Compare Sony HVR-Z5 DV Camcorder vs. Sony Handycam HDR-XR520 High Definition AVCHD Camcorder - Shopping.com

Leslie Wand April 11th, 2010 03:36 AM

i wouldn't put too much faith in shopping.com, or any other site that simply cuts and pastes tables.

if you don't believe what it says in the manual....

meanwhile, check out a z5 at a store - quicker than sending it away for no reason.

Mark Goodsell April 12th, 2010 07:08 PM

Mine works great. Better than some of the other cameras I've used in the past.

Mark G

Silas Barker April 12th, 2010 11:39 PM

Mark,
Have you tried zooming in most of the way and holding handheld?
Does it work well.... it must be a flaw on mine because it shakes horrible!

Cristian Adrian Olariu April 13th, 2010 01:27 AM

steady

Try to upload an example video with Steadyshot on and off. I have the NX5, on maximum zoom I can definitely see an improvement with if I activate any Steadyshot setting (NX5 has more Steadyshot functions that Z5 but It has also the standard Steadyshot found on Z5). It's not stable as I wanted to be but it makes a difference.
Here it is a example I shot with the standard Steadyshot on and off

Mark Wheelan April 14th, 2010 05:18 PM

I have a Z5 and I get good results from SteadyShot. About half of my shooting is personal family stuff which is often HandHeld. We hike quite a bit at our cabin leaving me winded. With a few minutes rest I can usually get good captures using SS. I really noticed the difference when I spent an entire day shooting without the SS, I got great scenery but it looked like a random family vacation you might see on YouTube. I had a hard time isolating 60frame (30p) segments of usable footage. I ended up with ~4-5 short clips out of ~10min and some of that I took advantage of the movement.

When I'm rested I can get steady shots using SS. I've been carrying my http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/571257-REG/CineBags_CB_25_DIGITAL_CAMO_CB_25_Revolution_Backpack_Digital.html on week-end trying to get into better shape. I'd like to be able to scoot-n-shoot for several hours straight and keep my composure.

Silas Barker May 18th, 2010 01:50 PM

Steadyshot Update

Well I received the camera back from Sony and it still has terrible steadyshot. I cannot tell if its on or off.

In comparison with the EX1, Z1, FX7 cameras the difference is terrible. I am used to zooming in almost all the way handheld and getting great close up shots at weddings. I really cannot do this with this camera - I think must be my actual camera however since no one else has had issues apparently?

And its apparent at 70-100% zoom level - at a total wide shot you cannot see much even on a steadyshot that works.