DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Sony Z5U Audio Channels Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/477077-sony-z5u-audio-channels-question.html)

John Reilly April 18th, 2010 01:28 PM

Sony Z5U Audio Channels Question

Hi,

I'm hoping Adam or one of you "online" today can help me out....I'm just getting to know my new Z5U and am totally stumped on locating the control (menu item or physical cam control) for selecting the configuration of the audio channels.

The book lists it there, under "Audio Set" menu, along with the rest, but the problem I'm having / or overlooking, is that in the menu, as I scroll through each item, I find no "Audio Channel Select" as it listed in the manual.

My Z1U has it.....but it is as if it was omitted from the software program for my specific Z5 camera.....ridiculous, right?

I then wondered if it is not available to me based on my settings, but I don't think that's it:

I run "status check" and see (pg. 1 of 7) the channels are currently input 1 going to Channel 1, and 2 is going to 2. But for the life of me, I cannot change that to the other option, say, of the onboard shotgun (input 1) going to both Channel 1 & 2, or another option (possibly the default?) of Channel 2 capturing the onboard stereo mic.

I'm shooting at 30P (progressive) and have searched with cam set in Audio Manual, vs. Auto, with cam
settings in Auto vs. Manual, and for some reason, I'm missing something obvious here...

Help? ....Thanks!

John Reilly

Adam Gold April 18th, 2010 01:57 PM

The problem with virtually unlimited customization is that too many choices can be confusing, especially when they're a combination of hard switches and firmware menus.

It's the dials/switches on the side of the cam that set this... under the frosted flip-down plastic cover. Also double check the switches right near the mic inputs with the clear flip-UP cover to make sure you are selecting the right type of input.

Page 10-11, 44 in the manual. Page 79 (AUDIO CH SEL) appears to be an error in the manual as these are hardware switch controlled.

So go to the side and set CH2 to INT MIC or INPUT1 and you should be all set. About the only thing you can't do is send the audio from INPUT2 to CH1, but you can go the other way around.

John Reilly April 18th, 2010 02:09 PM

Z5U Audio

Adam,

A great THANKS for the practically instant response...big relief to know I'm not quite brain-dead yet.

I was noticing the dials on the side and was switching the inputs around, taking some comfort that
changes I was making were, in fact, then being reflected in the "status check" page for my current
audio settings.

How ironic that the error / omission in the manual coincides precisely with your tag-line of "human
error."

Then again, do humans actually write the manuals at Sony??

Thanks for the knowledge!

John

Marco Sanders March 6th, 2012 01:52 PM

Re: Sony Z5U Audio Channels Question

No, I just found out that these options are only available in VCR mode.
So the manual mixes the options for REC and VCR mode....

Adam Gold March 6th, 2012 03:32 PM

Just to clarify, the chart on page 64 of the Z5E manual (66 for the Z5U) indicates that AUDIO CH SEL and DV AUDIO MIX are for VCR MODE playback only.

The INPUT mapping switches on the side of the cam are for recording in CAMERA mode. I've just tested in CAMERA mode and all the audio switches work as described. You can map INPUT 1 and INT MIC to either or both channels. You can map INPUT 2, if you are using it, to Channel 2 only.

Chris Duczynski March 6th, 2012 07:13 PM

And also make sure your mic selection panel near the mic inputs is set correctly. I've set this to line sometimes and forgot to set it back.