My time lapse is choppy??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 10th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My time lapse is choppy???

How do I edit my timelapse recording so it looks smooth? I recorded 5 seconds every 30 seconds and a few things in the frame, such as trees, US Flag, blowing look choppy. I am using the latest FCP.

Thanks for your help.
Marco Giordani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't think you'll get a smooth image using that method, its more of "skip" or intermittent method. 1 frame per second might give you some improved results filming a room of people or boats in a harbor ....but not so much on flowing objects like trees or flags.

If I understand correctly what are looking for: I usually just shoot a steady shot for a long period and then speed it up in the editor. You can skip frames and/or speed up the velocity (Vegas). For trees and flags I would speed the velocity with some motion blur. (x4 each render until you achieve the speed you're looking for). It may be just my imagination, but I believe I get the best results with x2 speed on the first render and motion blur. You have to be careful with motion blur so you don't lose your definition as you progressively render it.. AfterEffects might make it even smoother but I'm not proficient with it yet.

I'm kinda' interested in what the pros have to say also. I've been doing some of this for my own stock footage and composites.
Mark Wheelan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000