DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   technical questions about the ojective and the compression of the HVR Z5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/478502-technical-questions-about-ojective-compression-hvr-z5.html)

Thibaud Syre May 11th, 2010 12:02 PM

technical questions about the ojective and the compression of the HVR Z5

Hello
I'm new to this forum. I live in France (sorry for my english ;) ) and I am preparing to buy a Sony HVR Z5.
I think that is the model that best fits my needs for filming. With a wide focal range, and quality HDV is respectable (it seems).
However, I wonder about a few points. The first point concerns the objective in macro mode. Is anyone could tell me what is the minimum distance for the development in macro mode? At 29mm and 590mm? is very important to me because I intend to catch plants and flowers.
The second point concerns the quality of HD compression, allows for such good detail even when the image is complex? I shoot in the forest and the light, movement of trees and the profusion of elements will not put the system to load off a good result?
So I have opinions of owning this camcorder. And what would be great is to have taken a native to these special conditions .... but I ask a lot!
Thank you for your answers
best regards
Thibaud Syre

Nicholas Barclay May 11th, 2010 11:07 PM

Thibaud,

Maximum aperture is f/1.6 at the 4.1mm wide end and f/3.4 at the 82mm tele end. At full wide, 4.1mm and f/1.6, an object touching the front of the lens barrel (lens shade off) is in focus. At 82mm and f/1.6, minimum object distance from the front of the lens for focus is a little more than 2.9ft.

Secondly, the z5 is a tape based camcorder, therefore recording native 1440:1080i HDV. The Z5 has three 1/3 inch progressive CMOS sensors (45-degree tilted pixels). This allows for dual noise canceling for low-light capture.

The z5, as a tape based camera, is relatively uncompressed (4:2:2 colour spacing) compared to many of the solid state Sony & Panasonic camcorders at around the same price range that record AVCHD with 4:2:0 cs.

I would strongly recommend, from my own experiences, this camera or perhaps the Canon xha1s, due to its capabilities in low light and macro situations.

Kind Regards, Nic Barclay

Dave Burckhard May 12th, 2010 07:18 PM

One can split hairs about video quality of the cameras in the HVR Z5's price range. It's a highly competitive field and, fortunately or unfortunately, no single camera comes out as "the best." However, as professionals know, key features and workflow are every bit as important as resulting image quality. (Otherwise, I think the market for dSLR would be far greater.) I chose the Z5 based a LOT on workflow and features.

The HVR Z5 is a highly capable camera for the events, corporate video, and other types of video I mostly shoot. You can forget the discussions about the obsolescence of tape-based recording. The optional Sony CF drive gives you flash file based recording with tape backup. I'm the rare person who shoots, instead, unto a Focus Enhancements DTE hard drive which works nicely for me. I would never settle for shooting unto a single medium. The last thing you want to tell a client is, "oops, I need a do-over." It'll be your last job with a client.

The lens is remarkable for its focal length range, close focus ability, wide angle cability, and sharpness. I have been on many event shoots and even with extra lenses on inter-changeable cameras, you never have the time to change lenses and deal with back focus issues. Gimme one lens and I'm golden.

The HDV format is sharp enough for nearly all application and is proven. I'll yield to those who say the EX-1 cameras produce a sharper image but they are more expensive and don't have the zoom range without changing lenses. I'll also say that nobody has complained about lack of sharpness on the Z5 footage either. This includes critical clients.

Go for it. Get the Z5. Learn it. Love it.

Dave Burckhard
PicturePoint On-line

Thibaud Syre May 13th, 2010 09:46 AM

Thank you very much for your answers!
I can hardly believe it! This lens is amazing!
For the quality of compression, I speak mostly used codecs, I believe that is a long GOP MPEG-25 Mbits / sec which is incomprehensible to me!

I think I'll buy this camcorder a few months.
Thank you again for your advice!
looks nice
Thibaud Syre

Shaun Roemich May 13th, 2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas Barclay (Post 1525982)
The z5, as a tape based camera, is relatively uncompressed (4:2:2 colour spacing)

The Z5, an HDV camera, uses 4:2:0 colour space, not 4:2:2. Some "flavours" of AVCIntra use 4:2:2

And one can hardly call 25mbps HD "relatively uncompressed"... Suitable for many applications, yes. Relatively uncompressed, not so much...

Chris Duczynski May 18th, 2010 05:03 PM

...and although you may or may not need them - 2 XLR inputs for audio which at the price is sensational.
Great menu options for detail, skin tone, etc for those that love to tweak menus and may be also good for floral stuff.
Great Picture profile presets such as for a "film look".
I wouldn't worry about the Z7 as it''s main feature for the extra cash is interchangeable lens - and really the Z5 will cover 90% or more of what you need.
I don't about the other cameras in this group but for price and performance this does the job.