DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Best Sennheiser Mic to Shoot a Feature (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/480378-best-sennheiser-mic-shoot-feature.html)

Bruce Troxell June 14th, 2010 12:38 PM

Best Sennheiser Mic to Shoot a Feature

Just bought a Sony HDR-FX1000 to shoot a micro budget feature. I'm a crazy kind of guy and think it will work. I want to buy a Sennheiser mic for the external sound. I was thinking about using a ME64 but I'm not sure I can afford it on this budget. Also, how would I connect the K6 powering module to the Sony? I'm pretty sure the K6 doesn't have a 3.5 audio jack on it. Does it? Someone suggested using a Sennheiser MKE300, but not sure that is good enough. Suggestions?

Edward Carlson June 14th, 2010 01:30 PM

Any specific reason you want to buy a Sennheiser? There are many other good mics out there from other companies. (Not knocking Sennheiser, but I think you should look further.)

The K6 module has an XLR plug on the bottom. If your camera doesn't have an XLR plug, then you need to get an XLR to 1/8" cable, or use a converter box like the ones from Beachtek or Juiced Link.

Bruce Troxell June 14th, 2010 03:10 PM

Just have always used a Sennheiser and like the quality. Right now, I'm just trying to find the best quality sound for my project in a price range I can afford. I can go for the ME64, but if there is something just as good for less, I'm all ears.

Edward Carlson June 14th, 2010 03:24 PM

I don't have any experience using cardioid mics for dialogue (which I assume is your intended use) but I would think you should look for a hypercardioid or shotgun. Look at the Oktava MK-012 and the Røde NTG-2 and NTG-3.

Dale Guthormsen June 16th, 2010 03:28 PM

Good afternoon,

Dollar for dollar the rode video mic offers great sound and it is a 1/8 plug, priced at 179.00. I use both on my fx 1000. for no wind environs the video mic is just fine, if it is windy I use the 897 in a blimp.

Another high yeild for the dollar is the Audio Technia 897 shotgun mick, but you will need a converter chord, 20 bucks at B&H. If you had the dollars a beach tech or juice box are better than a converter cable in my book.

Here is the shotgun shoot out.

DV eStore Theatre - Shotgun Shootout

Thane Silliker June 16th, 2010 05:34 PM

Mke-400

I have the Sennheiser MKE-400 and I really like it. I filmed this using it.

In this video, the engine start sequence, exhaust sound during the "gearing up" phase, the drive-thru window sequence, and also the nature/bird sounds were recorded on it.

I have also shot interviews with it from 10ft distances. Works quite well.

In windy environments, use the low frequency roll off switch a better windsock.

Leslie Wand June 16th, 2010 11:00 PM

i still have an me80 - pretty old by now, but nothing, incl. my me66 has the 'warmth' it gives to speech....

Sareesh Sudhakaran June 17th, 2010 09:31 PM

here's some advice from a guy who bought a sennheisser ME66/K6 module, Ktech windjammer kit, etc. The price you're going to pay for all these might well get you a good sound recordist with his own equipment, and you will be satisfied in the end that you did that.

My advice: Please don't buy your sound equipment. It's not worth the hassle if you're thinking feature films.