DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   32 GB card question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/481796-32-gb-card-question.html)

Rob Morse July 12th, 2010 06:43 PM

32 GB card question

I just downloaded footage from a party I did and the Sony utility program won't stitch the large files together . This was the first time I used the 32 GB card but I haven't heard any complaints from anyone. Anyone have an ideas why that would happen?

Adam Gold July 16th, 2010 10:38 AM

You're sure the pieces are all part of a larger continuous shot done without starting or stopping the cam? If you started and stopped the cam the app won't join the files. They must be continuous.

Rob Morse July 16th, 2010 12:45 PM

Thanks for the response Adam. I thought everyone might have left for vacation. Yes, it was continuous shooting. Actually, to add something stranger to the mix, 2 earlier files joined. I had approx 80 clips. The first of any length was approx 30 minutes. I saw in the Sony utility that it showed 2 files for that clip. That one joined as normal and become approx a 6 GB file. The next was about 50 minutes. The Sony utility showed 3 files but it didn't join them. It gave me that 3.9 GB file twice and then another small piece.
I was wondering about the format process but the fact that it worked on the the 30 min shot puzzled me. I guess it's not a typical issue if nobody else has had the issue. I'll format it and try again.

Adam Gold July 16th, 2010 08:00 PM

Hm, that is puzzling...

Leslie Wand July 16th, 2010 09:12 PM

not on holiday, but having not experienced your problem was waiting to see any response.....

it is rather puzzling since on the rare occasions i have run long enough for files to be joined, i haven't had any problems.

please let us know if your subsequent tests display the same - hopefully they don't and it's just another case of a ghost in the machine....

Jay West July 16th, 2010 09:58 PM

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago with a dance recital that I shot (using a 32 gb SanDisk Extreme III 32 gb card with an MRC and an FX1000). However, when I put the files together on a PPro CS5 timeline, it was all seamless.

Do you have any lost frames between the file clips that the utility brought in?

Rob Morse July 18th, 2010 07:35 AM

Thanks for the responses. I was missing some frames when I threw it on the timeline. I'm getting ready to go to CS5 maybe I'll try that timeline. It's not a desperate situation, I have a tape backup, but I wanted to see if anyone else had that problem. Hopefully, just some strange thing that happened on a new card. By the way, it's a Lexar 32GB 300x card. Thanks.

Leslie Wand July 25th, 2010 04:20 AM

and?

am wondering whether a. the card, b. the fact that it was 32gb?

just in case i decide to buy one......

thanks

Rob Morse July 30th, 2010 09:33 AM

I'll let you know as soon as I figure it out. I hope it's not the card. I've been waiting patiently for this one.

Rob Morse August 9th, 2010 07:01 AM

Update: I shot this weekend with the 32 GB card and everything was fine. The long files stitched as they should. I'm guessing I forgot to format it the first time. That's the only explanation I have.

Leslie Wand August 11th, 2010 05:55 AM

thanks rob - appreciated - though i didn't think you had to format new cards (then again, i always do....)

Rob Morse August 11th, 2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 1557931)
thanks rob - appreciated - though i didn't think you had to format new cards (then again, i always do....)

Agreed but I have no other idea what would cause it. Formatting was the only thing different than the first time I tried. It was an identical service to the first one I shot (format and time frame). So, like I mentioned earlier, I have no other explanation. I have another one on Saturday and I'll try it again.

Leslie Wand August 11th, 2010 06:06 PM

let us know how that one goes too please.....

have avoided 32gb cards as default simply because of the odd things i've read - though in truth, problems do appear few and far apart,,,,,

Rob Morse August 21st, 2010 09:13 AM

I'm happy to announce that everything is great with the card

Leslie Wand August 21st, 2010 07:01 PM

great to hear.

might just go and get one for the rare concerts i shoot....