32 GB card question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 12th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Major Player

32 GB card question

I just downloaded footage from a party I did and the Sony utility program won't stitch the large files together . This was the first time I used the 32 GB card but I haven't heard any complaints from anyone. Anyone have an ideas why that would happen?
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You're sure the pieces are all part of a larger continuous shot done without starting or stopping the cam? If you started and stopped the cam the app won't join the files. They must be continuous.
Old July 16th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the response Adam. I thought everyone might have left for vacation. Yes, it was continuous shooting. Actually, to add something stranger to the mix, 2 earlier files joined. I had approx 80 clips. The first of any length was approx 30 minutes. I saw in the Sony utility that it showed 2 files for that clip. That one joined as normal and become approx a 6 GB file. The next was about 50 minutes. The Sony utility showed 3 files but it didn't join them. It gave me that 3.9 GB file twice and then another small piece.
I was wondering about the format process but the fact that it worked on the the 30 min shot puzzled me. I guess it's not a typical issue if nobody else has had the issue. I'll format it and try again.
Old July 16th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hm, that is puzzling...
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Trustee

not on holiday, but having not experienced your problem was waiting to see any response.....

it is rather puzzling since on the rare occasions i have run long enough for files to be joined, i haven't had any problems.

please let us know if your subsequent tests display the same - hopefully they don't and it's just another case of a ghost in the machine....
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago with a dance recital that I shot (using a 32 gb SanDisk Extreme III 32 gb card with an MRC and an FX1000). However, when I put the files together on a PPro CS5 timeline, it was all seamless.

Do you have any lost frames between the file clips that the utility brought in?
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the responses. I was missing some frames when I threw it on the timeline. I'm getting ready to go to CS5 maybe I'll try that timeline. It's not a desperate situation, I have a tape backup, but I wanted to see if anyone else had that problem. Hopefully, just some strange thing that happened on a new card. By the way, it's a Lexar 32GB 300x card. Thanks.
Old July 25th, 2010, 04:20 AM   #8
Trustee

and?

am wondering whether a. the card, b. the fact that it was 32gb?

just in case i decide to buy one......

thanks
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #9
Major Player

I'll let you know as soon as I figure it out. I hope it's not the card. I've been waiting patiently for this one.
Old August 9th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #10
Major Player

Update: I shot this weekend with the 32 GB card and everything was fine. The long files stitched as they should. I'm guessing I forgot to format it the first time. That's the only explanation I have.
Old August 11th, 2010, 05:55 AM   #11
Trustee

thanks rob - appreciated - though i didn't think you had to format new cards (then again, i always do....)
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
thanks rob - appreciated - though i didn't think you had to format new cards (then again, i always do....)
Agreed but I have no other idea what would cause it. Formatting was the only thing different than the first time I tried. It was an identical service to the first one I shot (format and time frame). So, like I mentioned earlier, I have no other explanation. I have another one on Saturday and I'll try it again.
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #13
Trustee

let us know how that one goes too please.....

have avoided 32gb cards as default simply because of the odd things i've read - though in truth, problems do appear few and far apart,,,,,
Old August 21st, 2010, 09:13 AM   #14
Major Player

I'm happy to announce that everything is great with the card
Old August 21st, 2010, 07:01 PM   #15
Trustee

great to hear.

might just go and get one for the rare concerts i shoot....
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000