DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Pacific model vs European model (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/484081-pacific-model-vs-european-model.html)

David J. Payne August 31st, 2010 06:59 AM

Pacific model vs European model

Hi all,

I'm after getting a HVR-Z5 and can only find the Z5P model for a decent price. Is it worth the couple of hundred pounds more for the Z5E model? I am in the UK, but I believe both shoot 25p and 60i and I'm hoping there should be no difference?

Ive also just seen it advertised as 1080p but again I think I'm right in saying it shoots at the same 1440x1080 that my FX1 shoots at, which due to something involving the word anamorphic (I'm quite technical as you can tell...) ends up displaying as 1920x1080 in the NLE, however this is technically not full 1080?

Many thanks

David J. Payne August 31st, 2010 01:43 PM

Having downloaded a sample m2t I've confirmed my point on the frame size but still keen to get the pacific vs European thing confirmed by tomorrow so I can make a purchase. Anyone got any ideas??

Leslie Wand August 31st, 2010 10:31 PM

other than suffix i don't think there's any difference at all - years ago the european models had the ability to record (to tape over firewire?) turned off to avoid additional tax - though i'm a bit vague on the details

Mike Beckett September 1st, 2010 02:04 AM

David,

It depends on how important the guarantee is. A UK-sourced (E) model may be easier to get repaired. And (as far as I know) Sony UK models have two years Silver Service support included, which you won't get with the grey import.

I had the same qualms back when I bought my Sony V1... the V1P was cheaper, but in the end I freaked out about not having breakdown/repair cover and went for the V1E.

If they both do PAL, 25fps, and you don't care about possible after sales support problems (or can confirm with Sony that they have no problems repairing an import), then go for the P.

Paul R Johnson September 1st, 2010 02:42 AM

I too suggest you check the recording from cable facility is not switched off on the euro version. I actually doubt it will be engaged as it was the UK specific models that had this annoying feature on them. Buying a PAL camcorder from Germany was fine. The last time I noticed this on one of my own cameras was around 5 years ago with a JVC. The feature usually worked by disabling the analogue ins, not the digital ins, but the JVC was blocked in full.

Sony UK will not be interested in a grey import, so service wise you are stuck with the dealer you get it from - and if they are a box shifter, not a proper dealer, your service could be zero.

David J. Payne September 1st, 2010 04:37 AM

thanks to all for your replies. I was planning on getting it from simplyelectronics.net.
Perhaps I'll call and confirm their warantee details but I'm not sure how I'd find out (or if I fully understand) whether the recording from cable facility is not switched off.

Does that mean I would not be able to export from my editing software back to tape through firewire like I currently do on my FX-1E's?

Steve Renouf September 5th, 2010 10:36 AM

No the Z5Us are not crippled, as they are considered PRO cameras (not consumer) they function fully as intended. I think you'll find it was only consumer cameras that were crippled in this way (as I understand DSLRs are with the video function limited to 10 minutes or something)