Z5 and HDMI monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 9th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #1
New Boot

Z5 and HDMI monitor

I recently bought a 7" on-camera SWIT S1070 HDMI monitor - it's not HD but pretty sharp and good enough for my needs. When I connect it to the Z5's hdmi all the usual camera info on the camera's LCD/viewfinder appears for a second or two on the monitor but then disappears and I can't get it back to show permanently.

It's not configurable from the menu on the monitor itself and I have tried to get it to show from inside the camera's menus but there's no hdmi sub menu to configure what is displayed or not. This is only fairly frustrating as I keep my on-camera lcd open all the time anyway but it would be nice to see even just the red record dot and iris/shutter/gain/ settings on the big screen.

Is this a limitation of the monitor or the camera's HDMI out function?

Many thanks, Paul
Paul Zetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I had this! I read the manual!! I found the solution!!!

I had the markers turned on. As soon as I turned them off all the info normally seen on the LCD screen appeared on the HDMI monitor.

HTH

Mark
Mark Morreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #3
New Boot

Dear Mark - many thanks for that

Markers, page 80, Column 1 under Notes.
Paul Zetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Paul - I'm getting very interested in using a monitor with my NX5 simply because the Sony top screen is so useless in sunlight. This is partly down (I suspect) to its high resolution, but it isn't helped by the touch-screen film technology also.

So now you've got the on-screen display sorted, can you tell me how it looks in direct sunlight? And if the screen is viewable from wide-angles off normal? I really need to know where I'm aiming the camera in run 'n' gun wedding situations, and hi-rez is way down the list.

I think I only need a 5" diagonal screen tops, and more are appearing all the time.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #5
New Boot

HDMI monitor

Hi Tom

If there was any direct sunlight in Hanoi at this time of year I'd let you know but it's extremely cold and overcast most days around Tet. I use the HDMI monitor for interviews only as I find it takes the stress out of focusing while your interviewee is waiting. The screen is relatively bright but I can't get it to match the colour/exposure of the Sony's own Z5 LCD (the monitor is a bit more washed out and yellower) so I usually use the Z5's LCD for white balance and exposure and the monitor for focusing. Not an ideal set up I admit but it's focusing that I find difficult.

One really good thing that will help you in direct sunlight is the excellent sunshade that comes with the monitor - really firm, high quality and big enough to cover any sun angle.

Hope that's helpful, Paul
Paul Zetter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000