Low Light Comparison To The VX2100 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 12th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Low Light Comparison To The VX2100 ?

I know these two cameras are worlds apart but I have to ask. My application is for very low light situations rather it be SD or HD or $1k, $3K, or whatever I am researching.

I have tried the VX2100 and like how it does but it is behind the times a bit and the HDR-FX1000 closer to the times but is costly.

The VX2100 is known to do well in low light. I am reading the HDR-FX1000 is supposed to perform well in low light also.
Then there is the Lux spec delima and how some mfg's fudge the ratings but Sony lists the specs on the VX2100 @ 1.0 and the HDR-FX1000 @ 1.5. I'm sure how they got the numbers on the cameras is classified.

Talk to me guys. How do they compare?
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Having had a VX2000 and a couple of FX1000s, I can say they're awfully close. If the FX can't match the VX in low light, it's only a hair behind. Remarkable, really, and it's HD and does much better widescreen.

Based on your other posts I know HD isn't a priority but with HD you could blow up the frame quite a bit (either in post or with digital zoom/extender) and still have better resolution than regular DV. And the FX has a much longer tele end.

If you're ready to go tapeless the AX2000 is basically the same cam as the FX1000.
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, I need to be tape though.

What about time stamp over the firewire. Have they fixed that yet. I need to be able to record to DVD with time stamp displayed.
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It's not "fixed" because it wasn't broken. They decided it was a pro feature and they reserved it for the pro cams as a point of differentiation from the consumer models. If you need a permanent burn in you need the pro models, either the PD or the Z5.

But once again, if you send an analog signal to the DVD burner you'll get the time stamp. Just not digitally.
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks,

I see. I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks.
They do have an optional cable that has S-Video. Will time stamp go over Component? HDMI?
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #6
Inner Circle

They should.

Interestingly, while the manual for every other Sony I've had specifically says that the date/time data is not output over FW, the FX1000 manual only says that this data may not be output depending upon the device or application. Hm.
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I sure would like to know if it is possible. I would hate to take footage shot in HD and have to transfer it over S-Video or composite to get a time stamp displayed. But that will be for Work Footage. My personal footage does not require the time stamp.
Is there any software that would help me?
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Let me test it on one of my Z5s. Can you give me a few minutes?
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Oh yes! thanks.
Old September 12th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Component: Yes.
HDMI: Yes.
Firewire: Sadly, no.
Old September 12th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks! HDMI is a very promising surprise.

I have been reading the thread you started "FX1000 has arrived - first impression" and learning a bunch.
I have a VX2100 on a trial basis right now and I may have to opt for the FX1000. The 20X zoom is very attractive and from the low light side by sides posted the difference seems to be very little.

I am a PI and shoot lots of street lighted areas. I think if it is too dark for the FX1000 then its most likely too dark for the VX2100? You think?
Old September 12th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #12
Inner Circle

While I would never assume Sony has measured the low light ability the same between the two cams, my hunch is that the numbers are fairly accurate -- about a half-stop difference, if that, between the two cams. To my eye they're really close but I haven't shot with my old VX for years -- I donated it to the kids' school in '06.

The specs list the VX2000 (which I had) as 2 lux, while your VX2100 is supposedly 1. That may just be semantics due to some different settings that may be available on the later model. I don't believe the chips are any different.

So I'm guessing they're all imperceptibly close. Maybe you can rent a Z5 for a night and see how it does.

I didn't start that thread but I certainly pontificated a lot in it, and I think most people's overall impressions of the cam are right on. I thought, and still think, it's one of the best cams I've ever owned, and I only got rid of mine to move up to the Z5, its big brother, which has a few more features I needed.

Note that HDMI on most devices other than TV screens is OUT only. I'd be surprised if your DVD recorder supports HDMI IN, but I suppose it's possible.
Old September 12th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Darn it!

Thanks
Old September 12th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Which DVD Recorder are you using?
Old September 12th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #15
Regular Crew

A cheap-o RCA that works really well and have looked at the back before posting last. It only has a single HDMI out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000