DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   cf and tape tc? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/487650-cf-tape-tc.html)

Leslie Wand November 18th, 2010 05:23 AM

cf and tape tc?

due to time constraints my client went off with the tapes, while i have the cards we shot.

they'll dump to dvd with tc window and do a paper cut, send me the edl and i'll compile. no problem with any of this - it's how we generally work, HOWEVER:

due to circumstances (there was a lot of unexpected circumstances on this shoot), we were taping a lot of interviews, all of which went to tape + cf. however, after each interview we then did cutaways, pack shots, etc., but ONLY to tape (we only had 2 cf cards with us - so i made sure the interviews were on them).

i don't need to compile any of the shots other than from the interviews; so my question is:

will the cf tc match the tapes, considering there's probably large gaps between interviews?

if not, could i use time of day?

Rian Maelzer November 18th, 2010 10:04 AM

CF timecodes

Yes, they should. The timecodes on the clips from the CF card match the timecode of the tape regardless of whether some material was only recorded to tape, but not to CF. It's the same when you change tapes. The card still duplicates the timecode from the new tape. It's a good thing too when you have to hand over the original tapes but are still required to provide a shotlist or timecodes later.

Greg Laves November 18th, 2010 01:21 PM

Hi Leslie, I don't know which edit system you use. I use Premier Pro and it doesn't seem to recognize the time code on the cards like when I want to do a time code dub from video off of the cards. Every clip starts over at 00:00:00:00. It recognizes the time code off of the tape, however. I might be doing something wrong but I haven't been able to figure it out so far.

Adam Gold November 18th, 2010 02:40 PM

Greg, the newest update of CS5 fixes this problem. It's not you, it was Premiere.

More details in the Premiere forum if you care.

Leslie Wand November 18th, 2010 04:49 PM

thanks gents,

had a moment of panic there!

usually have enough cards to cover all eventualities, but not for being told 'only 1 max 15 minute interview' - turned out the client had lined up 10 without informing the producer.

(i always travel with 10 tapes - couldn't shoot more in a day if i wanted to! and usually take 4 cards, but two still had material on them from the previous day)

again, thanks

leslie

Greg Laves November 19th, 2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1589420)
Greg, the newest update of CS5 fixes this problem. It's not you, it was Premiere.

More details in the Premiere forum if you care.

Cool. I am getting ready to go to CS5.

Adam Gold November 19th, 2010 08:44 PM

Make sure you do the update to 5.0.2 right away after you install CS5. Especially if you have a supported CUDA card, you'll never look back.

Greg Laves November 21st, 2010 06:34 PM

Thanks Adam, I'll do that.