cf and tape tc? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 18th, 2010, 05:23 AM   #1
Trustee

cf and tape tc?

due to time constraints my client went off with the tapes, while i have the cards we shot.

they'll dump to dvd with tc window and do a paper cut, send me the edl and i'll compile. no problem with any of this - it's how we generally work, HOWEVER:

due to circumstances (there was a lot of unexpected circumstances on this shoot), we were taping a lot of interviews, all of which went to tape + cf. however, after each interview we then did cutaways, pack shots, etc., but ONLY to tape (we only had 2 cf cards with us - so i made sure the interviews were on them).

i don't need to compile any of the shots other than from the interviews; so my question is:

will the cf tc match the tapes, considering there's probably large gaps between interviews?

if not, could i use time of day?
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #2
New Boot

CF timecodes

Yes, they should. The timecodes on the clips from the CF card match the timecode of the tape regardless of whether some material was only recorded to tape, but not to CF. It's the same when you change tapes. The card still duplicates the timecode from the new tape. It's a good thing too when you have to hand over the original tapes but are still required to provide a shotlist or timecodes later.
Rian Maelzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Leslie, I don't know which edit system you use. I use Premier Pro and it doesn't seem to recognize the time code on the cards like when I want to do a time code dub from video off of the cards. Every clip starts over at 00:00:00:00. It recognizes the time code off of the tape, however. I might be doing something wrong but I haven't been able to figure it out so far.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Greg, the newest update of CS5 fixes this problem. It's not you, it was Premiere.

More details in the Premiere forum if you care.
Old November 18th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Trustee

thanks gents,

had a moment of panic there!

usually have enough cards to cover all eventualities, but not for being told 'only 1 max 15 minute interview' - turned out the client had lined up 10 without informing the producer.

(i always travel with 10 tapes - couldn't shoot more in a day if i wanted to! and usually take 4 cards, but two still had material on them from the previous day)

again, thanks

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Greg, the newest update of CS5 fixes this problem. It's not you, it was Premiere.

More details in the Premiere forum if you care.
Cool. I am getting ready to go to CS5.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Make sure you do the update to 5.0.2 right away after you install CS5. Especially if you have a supported CUDA card, you'll never look back.
Old November 21st, 2010, 06:34 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Adam, I'll do that.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000