Extreme time lapse at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 8th, 2011, 11:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Extreme time lapse

I just got asked to shoot the set up of an event ( a home and garden show - with model homes, full garden setups etc.) . The setup will take approximately 2 weeks, which they want condensed into roughly 30 seconds. I am also shooting the event but that is a different project. They just want a quick timelapse showing the building from empty to finished. I was thinking of 1 sec. every 5 minutes that would use roughly 30 minutes of tape for the two weeks if my math is correct. It can look jerky that isnt a problem but do you think that is too much or too little amount of footage to get the idea of what is going on during the 2 weeks? Especially since I have to speed it up tonnes to get it to 30 seconds. Is these even really plausible? I am starting to think even 1 sec per 10 minutes is better but would I still be able to see the progression of what is happening? Any one have experience doing such an extreme time lapse video?

Also would it even be a good idea to leave my Sony FX1000 on for 2 weeks straight? It will be a relatively cool room with the camera obviously hooked up to a power supply.
Shawn Legg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #2
Trustee

use a dslr and intervalometer.
Old February 12th, 2011, 12:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Leslie, but I don't want to buy a bunch of new stuff I was just wondering about the stuff I asked about.
Old February 12th, 2011, 12:59 AM   #4
Trustee

well i think you'll find the z5 / fx1000 a bit old hat nowadays. there's many people out there still using them (at least the z5 afaik), but i think we've all pretty much got a handle on them by now....

i still think my suggestion more appropriate for the job - a cheap $100 digital camera (which probably has time lapse built in) will give much better (higher resolution) pics than any video camera.....

and no big deal if it gets knocked off (in any sense of the word ;-))
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

True about the dslr thingy I guess, I thought only expensive ones had the timelapse function. Also I going to have the camera high up above and kind of far away. My Fx1000 does very well in lowlight, but I would assume a camera would need a flash and it won't throw that far.
Old February 12th, 2011, 03:36 AM   #6
Trustee

i would also presume that a still camera would have better sensitivity than a video camera.....

you say flash.... surely they wont be setting up in the dark?
Old February 12th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

firstly, make sure the camera is set to progressive 30p.

i think the trick to doing timelapse with sony video cameras is to just let it record for 1 second or half a second per interval...
but then in post, you're going to want to speed the footage up so that each interval is only one or 2 frames long. that will look much smoother than little snippets of one second.
i'd also recommend just using the shortest interval possible/....

but yeah, you could just buy some semi-disposable still-camera
Brian McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks, I was too afraid to leave my fx1000 alone that long, So I borrowed a Gopro which seems to do the trick, although I would rather have an option for 1 shot every 5 minutes instead every 60 seconds.
Shawn Legg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000