Question about HVR-MRC1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 06:26 AM   #1
New Boot

Question about HVR-MRC1

I just bough a HVR-MRC1 unit. I've done some test and and got some questions. The operational manual is vague and some things I had to figure it out reading post and just playing around with the unit.

I am using a Sony Z5 camera. When the unit is on SYNCRO and the camera on EXT REC ONLY I am having a delay during the recording process. For example if I yell cut and stop the camera the unit does not record the last few frames before "cut". I try again but this time after "cut" I counted 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and then stop the camera, the last two numbers 2, 1, weren't recorded. Now if I do the same thing but instead of using the camera buttons I use the unit recording / stop buttons the delay seems to be shorter but still there is some.

Is this normal? I guess it probably is but since the manual is so vague I will appreciate your help....

Another thing is that apparently if I want to switch the Z5 between camera and vcr mode when the unit is attached, I need first to turn off the unit. This worries me since this unit seems so fragile that after some time could be broken due to constant on and off handling, specially if we want to review a scene during the recording process.

Thanks for your help!!!
Rolando Lugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Question about HVR-MRC1

hi rolando,

shooting wit a z5 too. but i haven't ever shot without a tape rolling at the same time (instant archiving, or for network tv). i'm old school and always pre roll about 5 secs and post roll at least 3 secs.

i've never switched the cf off (unless i was shooting purely tape) between cam and vtr? does it say to do som in the manual? (no idea where i put mine ;-))

btw. very happy with the 32gb adata card i mentioned in the other thread. @ $85 it seems to be a gift horse....
Old October 4th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

You can just switch the camera between Cam and Vcr modes, never had any problems with it. I also don't recall the manual saying anything about switching off the unit. I've also never noticed the recorder not recording until the button press, but I am very liberal with tape and flash-memory ....
Frans Meijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #4
Major Player

Do a search on MRC1 in this forum. We have had numerous discussions in the past.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Or in the MRC forum, where there are many more.....
Old October 5th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Major Player

I have a Z7 which comes with a MRC1 by default. I do notice some frames lost mostly at the start of a clip, but I think most of that is the HDV codec & using FCP's log & transfer.

I notice a similar thing when capturing HDV tape into FCP.

If you're on a mac... check out the app "Clip Wrap" the free demo will do the first 60seconds of a clip. Clip Wrap handles files from the MRC1 in a very different manner than FCP does, mostly quick & dirty would be the best way I'd describe it.

If that solves your problems, $50 ain't bad for software that can save a production's raw footage. Though I agree with an above poster that you should always record some heads & tails for safety.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000