DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   MRC1 won't work independently (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/506577-mrc1-wont-work-independently.html)

Chris Duczynski April 2nd, 2012 12:50 AM

MRC1 won't work independently

My MRC1 only works with a tape in the camera on settings synchronous and/or relay. When I switch to external the MRC1 won't fire up and record.
Am I doing anything wrong?

Rickey Brillantes April 2nd, 2012 05:39 AM

Re: MRC1 won't work independently

Chris, If you are just using the MRC1 by itself on your camera, you have to press the two record button on the unit simultaneously, and you will see a red light, that is if you're NOT using the Z5u or the Z7u camera's.

Adam Gold April 2nd, 2012 11:40 AM

What cam are you using? If you have a Z5 than the cam must be set to EXT ONLY in EXT REC CTRL > REC CTRL MODE (Page 85-86) and you must have the hard CAMLINK button ON on the MRC unit.

If you have an FX1000, you don't have EXT REC CTRL and you have to set to Follow mode on the unit, and yes, you must have a tape in the cam to use the REC button on the cam to start the MRC. Otherwise you must, as Rickey notes, use the REC buttons on the MRC. That's how Sync and Relay and Follow are designed -- that's the point of them.

Chris Duczynski April 3rd, 2012 03:46 AM

I have a Z5, I'll try again.

Chris Duczynski April 10th, 2012 04:23 AM

Nope, no luck, anything else anyone can think of??

Adam Gold April 10th, 2012 10:13 AM

On the Z5, EXT REC CTRL is on EXT ONLY?

On the MRC, the hard CAM LINK button is ON (icon visible on screen) and CAM LINK SEL is on SYNCHRO?

Can you post shots of your menu screens so we can see your settings?

You could try an ALL RESET on the MRC to restore the default settings. Also, what firmware are you using -- Sony put out an update a while ago, although I doubt that's your issue.

Just to clarify, if you use the REC buttons on the MRC itself, it records properly?

Chris Duczynski April 10th, 2012 06:40 PM

voila, success!
Had to reset the MRC as CAM LINK SEL had disappeared. When it came back SEL was on FOLLOW not SYNCH. Switched it over and bingo!
So am I correct to say that if EXT REC CTRL is on SYNCHRO and CAM LINK SEL remains on SYNCHRO I can record with or without tape ?
And thanks Adam for persisting - appreciate it.

Adam Gold April 10th, 2012 11:11 PM

Yes. It shouldn't work that way but it does -- I just tested it. The only difference is if you are in SYNCHRONOUS mode and do not have a tape inserted, the little yellow tape icon will keep blinking at you on your LCD until you go mad. The only way to make it go away forever is to use EXT ONLY mode.