Z5 colour distortion with ambient led lighting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 24th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #1
New Boot

Z5 colour distortion with ambient led lighting

Had interior wedding function shoot with two z5s. The ambient lighting was with a number of blue and red mobile led lights and one of the cameras locked into the red and washed the scene in that colour or produced red blotches on the subject. Camera was set to manual 2.8f and 9db shutter fixed at 50 fps and awb set to indoors

The second camera was running on auto and 0 db and awe

Sony say the colour wash and overblown red is known feature with such hd cameras but if that was the case then the other z5 would hve had the same result.

Should add that the same scene was filmed with a z1 and did not suffer from those led to sme extent. Is this a CMOS v chip problem

Anyone had same problem?

Godfrey
Godfrey Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Z5 colour distortion with ambient led lighting

I've seen something similar when shooting theatre shows lit with LED lights, where the lighting designer has gone for the kind of saturation you just can't get with tungsten lights and gels.

I have not found a solution, but will need to, since LED lights are rapidly replacing tungstens in the theatres in which I shoot.
Mark Morreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Major Player

There is nothing that can be done. Whenever I shoot with this particular DJ, his lights kill my video, especially the red ones. Unfortunately, more and more are starting to use them now.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

LEDs as used by lighting companies or DJs are very hard to white balance to. Actually you're probably better off leaving the camera in auto white since you're chances of acquiring a proper WB and keeping it thru out an event that has a bunch of the LED lights going and changing intensity or color is pretty small.
I did an event a month or so ago and the LEDs were supposed to be a reddish color. The photog whom I've worked over 100 events with in the last 10 years showed me her LCD screen and asked me to compare my image to hers. They both showed as yellow with orange edges. Didn't matter if the cams were on auto WB or if I we WB'd on a white card away from the lighting that was on the perimeter of the room. Nothing we tried would make the whites truly white.
I have grown to hate these lights.
IMO all you can do is the best you can and go on from there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000