Sony HVR-Z5U Cassette & Focus Repair - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 11th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Sony HVR-Z5U Cassette & Focus Repair

Well, screw me. I think I had the gain on auto mostly. I got it back with alot of factory resets & that was one I hadn't changed. I rarely touch it anyway, and its been a while so I just thought not seeing any gain displayed meant it was 0. Before the LCD would display the gain (-12, -18 etc) when in Auto mode but it doesn't seem to do that now. Not even when the camera is in Complete Auto. Had I seen -12 displayed or whatever I would have known to change the gain to Manual but i didn't see it.

Upsetting as I reviewed over the camera. I suppose it could have been worse.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:11 PM   #17
Inner Circle

You don't have to change it to manual -- you can set the upper limit so it helps but doesn't produce any grain.

I'm good with an AGC limit of 9, but fussier folks prefer 6.

Also note you can save your settings to a stick as a Camera Profile and just restore them when the cam comes back from the shop -- sort of like a Win SysRestore.

IIRC when a value isn't displayed, that usually means the cam is in auto mode for at least that value. It usually lights up when you go Manual, at least with most recent Sonys. I could be wrong -- I set my default preferences years ago and haven't changed them much since then. I'm pretty sure you can specify this behavior in the DISPLAY SET menu. Page 82. An "A" appears when in auto next to the data. You tell it whether to display cam data. Don't confuse this with DATA CODE, p. 54, which is for playback only, or DATE REC (p. 94) which burns the date and time permanently into the picture.
Old May 12th, 2015, 08:41 AM   #18
Major Player

Thanks for your feedback Adam. I really thought the prev settings did show gain, as sometimes I saw some awkward settings, even like -3 outdoors in daylights?! with it having ND filters on 1/16 or 1/64 etc.

Anyway it was a short ceremony, although being at a venue the backdrop was black:( which really shows the gain. The dance floor was pretty well lit so that footage is ok. Not the end of the world, plus I think computer monitors don't show black as well as TVs tend to, and with Neatvideo & adjusting black levels it's passable.

Live & learn.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Yes, you aren't remembering wrong -- it *did* likely show gain, and it will again if you tell it to.

Page 82. Really.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000