2 new Sony HDV cams with interchangeable lens - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old October 12th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #46
MPS Digital Studios

Bypass the HDV codec via HDMI and you have a winner. When the IOHD comes out, that'll be key, along with a 35mm lens and adaptor.

heath
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #47
Major Player

I saw these cameras today...

...Or at least the mock ups, which were in a glass case at the IOV show in Coventry and so couldn't be handled.

Interestingly, one of the Sony guys said that the mount is "probably" the same mount as used on the JVC GY-HDxxx range, so all lenses and adaptors which fit that cam will fit these (as I say, the camera couldn't be touched so I couldn't confirm this, although they had a display of lenses in the cabinet with the cameras, and one of those was the stock fujinon which you get with the JVC).

Also the big shoulder camera has HD-SDI and 4 channel audio, whereas the small one doesn't. They are both 3 chip, the shoulder held camera will take both large and small tapes, also the UK "guestimate" price is around £5K for the shoulder mounted and probably under £4K for the smaller camera.

Oh yes, and they had the EX there too, but I couldn't get my hands on it as too many people were queueing up... all I can say is it looked nice from a distance

edit: oh yes, they didn't appear to have names yet, either (not as far as I can tell) so thats why I refer to them as the big shoulder camera and the small one...
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 03:21 AM   #48
New Boot

Thanks for that info Paul. Was there any indication of when these two cams would be available in the UK?
Kieran James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 04:17 AM   #49
Major Player

The handheld camera was 4th Quarter 2007, the Shoulder held (I think) was 1st quarter 2008.
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 04:42 AM   #50
Inner Circle

I really wished these cams had the Exmor chips instead of ClearVid. But who knows...
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 08:31 AM   #51
MPS Digital Studios

The exmor chips are explained here, and they are CMOS. They're in Sony DSLRs, and I think there is a version of one, if not the same chip, in the new Nikon DSLRs (D3 and D300):

http://photography.suite101.com/arti...nthusiast_dslr

heath
Old October 21st, 2007, 04:02 PM   #52
Inner Circle

I'm talking about the Exmors currently in the EX1. That's what's needed for these models.
Old October 21st, 2007, 04:32 PM   #53
MPS Digital Studios

Jack,

I hear ya, but I'm wondering if they can take those sensors and adapt them for video use. I'm pleased, no matter what, that the sensors are 1/2 inch.

heath
Old October 21st, 2007, 09:54 PM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
Jack,

I hear ya, but I'm wondering if they can take those sensors and adapt them for video use. I'm pleased, no matter what, that the sensors are 1/2 inch.

heath
I'm sorry, Heath. I'm confused. Which camera(s) are we talking about? The SLR, or the new Sony video cameras (which I'm pretty sure are listed as 1/3" CMOS, not 1/2".)

Or did I miss a design change somewhere?
Old October 21st, 2007, 10:04 PM   #55
MPS Digital Studios

The EX is 1/2"; I hear the new DLSR's CMOS chip is incredible and like Jack, I would love to see a video camera version.

heath
Old October 21st, 2007, 11:38 PM   #56
Inner Circle

If Sony goes more in-depth into the 4k and above market, there's no doubt that a 4K cam from Sony might come soon with an adapted version of the Exmors.

Oh, and just in case you got confused when I said Exmor in the EX1, here's a picture that might clear that up: http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...21/sony_60.jpg

From the article: http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...70921/sony.htm (Japanese)
Old October 23rd, 2007, 08:57 AM   #57
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
I find it a bit awkward that the handheld HDV camera has an interchangeable lens but the EX1 doesn’t unless Sony is also going to show an EX2 soon.

Since the EX1 cost around 7,000 to 7,500 dollars with 2 cards, I would estimate the HDV model at 5,000 to 5,500 dollars. The Z1u was around 5,500 when it first came out.

Now where is Canon and Panasonic when you need them? It’s their turn to show us new cameras and they better do it quick because Sony is about to get a lot of preorders.
The EX is a whole different beast - the broadcast ENG style lens on that baby actually takes up most of the camera body - the sensors and electronics only account for the last 2 - 3 inches of the camera body. Hence interchangeable would not be possible as much of the lens mechanics are built structually into the body of the camera.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 11:39 AM   #58
MPS Digital Studios

Has Sony announced these two HDV cameras in the US yet? If not, wow...they announced the V1e in September last year, then the V1u in US by October or so.

heath
Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:32 PM   #59
Regular Crew

Pricing?

Any news about the pricing?
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #60
Regular Crew

Here is some more info.

http://www.sonybiz.net/res/attachmen...7079494747.pdf

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270