2 new Sony HDV cams with interchangeable lens - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 14th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #106
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Chappell View Post
I'm not saying that's bad, but other than the fact that the HVX200 is putting the video on a P2 card, the process it uses to achieve 1080 24p is not unique among cameras under the 15k price tag that the writer made reference to. In fact, it seems very similar to the JVC HD series process.

Being we are all trying to learn the facts, the little details can be important. And as I say that, if one of the HVX200 wizards has a better explanation, or can explain where I am misguided I would welcome that info. I really admire this camera and want to understand all of this stuff.

If the HVX200 records 1080 24p at full resolution, to tape or P2, I will buy one. But so far, I haven't found that to be the case.
There's no quality difference between 1080/24PA and (if it were to exist) 1080/24P native. It's just a matter of removing some extra frames.
Applications like DVFilm Maker, RayMaker, and plugins like Raylight for Vegas can remove the pulldown without any recompression or loss of quality, they simply skip over the redundant frames.
Marcus van Bavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #107
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus van Bavel View Post
There's no quality difference between 1080/24PA and (if it were to exist) 1080/24P native. It's just a matter of removing some extra frames.
Applications like DVFilm Maker, RayMaker, and plugins like Raylight for Vegas can remove the pulldown without any recompression or loss of quality, they simply skip over the redundant frames.

The only thing I was pointing out, is that the HVX200 performs pulldown to achieve 1080 24p... not that the image quality suffers because of it. It is simply the process that it uses to produce 1080 24p.

This new camera from Sony, appears to operate in a very similar way to the HVX200.

That's all.
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #108
MPS Digital Studios

Marcus is the man; he owns www.dvfilm.com and I highly, highly recommend his software. I've used DVFilm Maker a lot. I reviewed his "Shooting Digital" book here.

Heath
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #109
Contributor

Quote:
The only thing I was pointing out, is that the HVX200 performs pulldown to achieve 1080 24p... not that the image quality suffers because of it. It is simply the process that it uses to produce 1080 24p.

But that's not an accurate statement. Rather it acquires 1080 at "true" 24p and in order to make it compatible with older editing systems, it then adds pulldown to convert it to 60i. But removing the pulldown restores the original 24P.
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #110
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus van Bavel View Post
But that's not an accurate statement. Rather it acquires 1080 at "true" 24p and in order to make it compatible with older editing systems, it then adds pulldown to convert it to 60i. But removing the pulldown restores the original 24P.
Nevermind... I see it. It starts with 1080 60p Native. All other streams are derived from that. Final output depends on medium and compression...

Thanks.
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #111
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Perhaps, but many news outlets won't even consider using cameras with 1/3 sensors. They want 2/3 because of the wide variety of scenarios the cameras have to operate in with available light.

Have to say, those are some good looking cameras and are taking the HDV format much further than I would have imagined.

-gb-
I understand that the ABC affliate here in Tampa, Florida is looking to supply their news photographers with JVC 250s. I guess cheap high definition access shoots down the 2/3rd inch sensor theory.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #112
New Boot

Love the options on the Z7! I'm curious, with the CF unit on the back of the Z7, where does the battery fit?
Adam Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #113
Trustee

Adam,
I wondered the same thing myself.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #114
Contributor

Quote:
It starts with 1080 60p Native. All other streams are derived from that. Thanks.

Another untrue statement. Unfortunately Panasonic is guilty on this one too so I understand everyone's confusion. When the camera is shooting 24P it really is sampling the sensor at 24P. A simple experiment proves this is true. At 24P with the shutter speed set high (around 1/250 for example) you pan over an object rapidly, and then look at the results frame by frame. If it was converting 60P to 24P you would see either blended frames or slightly uneven steps. You don't. It's perfectly even and clean, because it's sampling at 24P just as it should.
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #115
Trustee

Marcus, Joel, Heath, anyone else:
It seems that we're gotten off the topic of discussing the new Sony cams and have gotten into the nuts and bolts of understanding how different camera systems handle the recording of 24p to their various media. Should we create a new thread to discuss this further and leave this thread to it's intended purpose?
If you guys agree, then I'll start the thread. I would like to continue this discussion, but I'm not sure the Z7/S270 thread is the right place to do so.

-Ethan Cooper
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #116
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bosco Jr. View Post
I understand that the ABC affliate here in Tampa, Florida is looking to supply their news photographers with JVC 250s. I guess cheap high definition access shoots down the 2/3rd inch sensor theory.
All Scripps stations have gone HD with the JVC HD250. I used to work at WPTV, and a friend of mine told me they're starting to get them. Exciting! WPTV is the first to broadcast in HD in Florida, but now others are.

heath
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #117
MPS Digital Studios

Start it here. Leave a link and we'll all join up. But I feel this relates to the cameras.

heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
Marcus, Joel, Heath, anyone else:
It seems that we're gotten off the topic of discussing the new Sony cams and have gotten into the nuts and bolts of understanding how different camera systems handle the recording of 24p to their various media. Should we create a new thread to discuss this further and leave this thread to it's intended purpose?
If you guys agree, then I'll start the thread. I would like to continue this discussion, but I'm not sure the Z7/S270 thread is the right place to do so.
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #118
Trustee

Ok guys, I've started the geeky technical debate/discussion about 24p here

See you there. I have some questions.

-Ethan Cooper
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #119
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Sparks View Post
Love the options on the Z7! I'm curious, with the CF unit on the back of the Z7, where does the battery fit?
If you look at mikko wilson's pic on the link in the first page, there's pics showing the battery in the typical place like the Z1/V1, I assume the CF recorder goes over it somehow. Maybe the battery is entirely enclosed like the Canon A1.

New questions. The price of the Z7 is comparable to the XDCAM EX, any guesses on how it compares picturewise, particularly low light? Any guesses on street price?
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #120
MPS Digital Studios

I think it goes where the handle on the right side is. BIZARRE! Hope they take the F970s!

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270