2 new Sony HDV cams with interchangeable lens - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 8th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Three of course.
Actually, CMOS is single chip technology.
Old September 8th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #17
Major Player

Not sure i really understand your post/point Mark!

Piotr I think was just referring to the fact that both the new cams have 3 CMOS sensors (as would be expected in this class of machines).

Of course a CMOS sensor can function perfectly as 1 unit - as demonstrated on many other more consumer-end Sony and Canon machines.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 12:37 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Felis View Post
And so it begins....

Interchangeable lenses on handheld prosumer cameras? Well, I bet it would be safe to say that a whole new class of prosumer models will be on the way for next year?
How many of the former fixed lens users do you think will actually pony up the extra cash to buy another lens or two?

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #19
Major Player

There is a revolution happening and HDV is part of it and seems will have a nice future.
The diversity of products outlets, the need and desire for affordable and efficient tools is what is changing the production world.
Thanks to canon and Sony, it is now possible to have a nice ENG-EFP production unit for below $7000.
Robert Morane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joff B. Rein View Post
"Lenses from the popular Digital SLR – a System from Sony can also be used with a special adaptor" , that's nice, i wonder how those lenses would behave
I'm very curious about this statement too. Is it talking about some kind of propriatary Sony SLR lens or can any regular Nikon or Canon photo lens be used with this camera and the adaptor?
It would be wonderful if Sony/Panasonic/Cannon began making lens adaptors that were specifically designed for use with their cameras. I know JVC already has one for the 250's, but it's PL mount only isnt it?

This could be a fun year in the prosumer market.

-Ethan Cooper

Last edited by Ethan Cooper; September 8th, 2007 at 05:07 PM.
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes View Post
Not sure i really understand your post/point Mark!

Piotr I think was just referring to the fact that both the new cams have 3 CMOS sensors (as would be expected in this class of machines).

Of course a CMOS sensor can function perfectly as 1 unit - as demonstrated on many other more consumer-end Sony and Canon machines.
I thought CMOS sensors were a single chip. Guess not.
Old September 8th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Just like CCD image sensors, CMOS image sensors can be employed singularly, or in multiples around a beam splitter. The three-chip arrangement is the most common multiple-sensor layout, but there have been two-chip cameras and other variations in the past.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Intuitively, there would be an advantage in adding a 35mm lens adapter to a camera with a removable lens - you can get the redundant zoom lens out of the path and simplify the setup - no focus and zoom to adjust on the built in jack-of-all-trades lens. Any glass between the sensor and the ground glass could be fixed.

Is this true, or am I over-simplifying things?
Old September 8th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #24
Trustee

This is spectacular news- I've always wanted a handheld interchangeable lens camera that can accept DSLR lenses.......it would be perfect if it had an onboard hard-drive!!!

Wonder what these things will cost?
Old September 8th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #25
Trustee

I find it a bit awkward that the handheld HDV camera has an interchangeable lens but the EX1 doesn’t unless Sony is also going to show an EX2 soon.

Since the EX1 cost around 7,000 to 7,500 dollars with 2 cards, I would estimate the HDV model at 5,000 to 5,500 dollars. The Z1u was around 5,500 when it first came out.

Now where is Canon and Panasonic when you need them? It’s their turn to show us new cameras and they better do it quick because Sony is about to get a lot of preorders.

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; September 8th, 2007 at 10:27 PM.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #26
Major Player

I thought the EX hasn't come out yet? Perhaps this feature will make it in?
Old September 8th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Perhaps, but many news outlets won't even consider using cameras with 1/3 sensors.
Not to mention investing in 1/3" lenses.
Old September 9th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #28
MPS Digital Studios

Honestly, I've been expecting less HDV and more HDD or flash-based camcorders, but this is exciting! I am curious if there will be an American announcement like we saw last year with the V1u and FX7.

Btw, I know of some smaller stations using DVCPro cameras, but also the DVX100-series and some have reportedly gone over the the Z1u. I'm not sure if they're shooting HDV or just DV.

Scripps TV stations, including the NBC affiliate I worked at years ago, here in West Palm Beach, are going HDV via the JVC HD250.

heath
Old September 9th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #29
MPS Digital Studios

Smaller one looks exactly like a V1u with a bigger, interchangeable lens. If it replaces the V1, I'm betting prices will drop on those units!

heath
Old September 9th, 2007, 12:40 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
Smaller one looks exactly like a V1u with a bigger, interchangeable lens. If it replaces the V1, I'm betting prices will drop on those units!

heath
It's a different chipset to the V1.
- It's 1/3in and V1 is 1/4in and V1 is also quite a bit smaller and lighter.
I'm very sure the V1 will be around for a long time. Sony tend to keep their 'Broadcast' division machines like Z1, A1 etc going for some years.

Basically i view the handheld 1/3in interchangeable lens cam as, essentially, a replacement for the Z1 with improvements (like the lens swappable) etc. Same sensor size. I thought that Sony must bring out a 3x 1/3in CMOS Clearvid sensor machine sooner or later to fill in this gap in their range. I would expect the Z1 to (probably) be ceased to manufacture sometime soon (note it will no doubt be available for *sale* for quite some time, but i would speculate that Sony won't be making too many more Z1s as this new handheld cam effectively takes over from the Z1 in its product lineup (IMO).
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270